Clifford's Home - From Introductions

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoisestew

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South East Texas
JLSchmittou said:
It does look great, it has curb appeal. I'm interested to know how much grass these guys eat!! Being in Arizona, the only thing that grows in the summer is rye grass... I might have to get the girls a patch of their own!!!? It really is fantastic. Did you get it done in a weekend or has this been an ongoing project for some time??

Just like any animal, the bigger they get the more they eat. Since he has no grass right now, when I mow the lawn I always through some grass clippings in his enclosure. He loves it...As with building his enclosure it's always on ongoing project. The pavers took a weekend and his house took a weekend too. But i'm always looking to how to improve it. Like the planters on the sides of his house I just added. The planters have hibiscus, kale and cabbage plants.

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
That is simply spectacular, I love the organic flow and it just fits right in with the landscape. I'm in the Houston area so I'm always looking for ideas, Peanut is only a couple months, but never hurts to start planning. I will be using this thread for ideas.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Beautiful Enclosure, Clifford is one lucky Sulcata!
Congrats!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Just Outstanding, I love those! Your efforts show, they are very nice!

RuthieHurry

5 Year Member
Houston Area, Texas
I showed a friend of mine this thread. He is adopting a 25 pound sulcata that is currently staying at my house. He looked over your pictures and immediately ordered the Rubbermaid shed, lol! Question though, what did you use to cut the hole in the door?

LadyOfTheWord

5 Year Member
That is amazingly simple. I love how it looks classy and still keeps your tort warm. The floor covering must also make it easy to clean. :)

tortoisestew

5 Year Member
South East Texas
RuthieHurry said:
Question though, what did you use to cut the hole in the door?

I used a table saw. But you could use a jig saw or what ever works for you. Just make sure to fill the empty gaps of the door with foam insulation in a can. Will take about 3 cans depending how big you make the opening. Have your friend contact me if he needs help or questions. Thank you.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Great thread!!!

There's not a lot of photos of single adult Sulcata outdoor enclosures, and I like what you've accomplished for Clifford. I think I'll probably implement a lot of these ideas for my own sulcata when I prepare to move him outside permanently. Question: how deep is his wall? (to prevent digging)

tortoisestew

5 Year Member
South East Texas
ShiningSnakes said:
Great thread!!!

Question: how deep is his wall? (to prevent digging)

Inside dimensions are 4'w x 24d x 3½h. It works for now. I'm sure he'll need something bigger in a couple yrs. Good thing about rubbermaids is that you can order replacement parts. So I will be able to replace the door and use it for something else after he out grows this.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
tortoisestew said:
Inside dimensions are 4'w x 24d x 3½h. It works for now. I'm sure he'll need something bigger in a couple yrs. Good thing about rubbermaids is that you can order replacement parts. So I will be able to replace the door and use it for something else after he out grows this.

I'm sorry for not being specific...I guess my question was: what is the below-ground depth of the brick wall of the entire enclosure. I wasn't wanting dimensions of the rubbermaid shed.

tortoisestew

5 Year Member
South East Texas
ShiningSnakes said:
I'm sorry for not being specific...I guess my question was: what is the below-ground depth of the brick wall of the entire enclosure. I wasn't wanting dimensions of the rubbermaid shed.

Oops. The bricks aren't dug in. They're just laid on top the ground. My tortoise has never dug. I'm sure if you have a digger you would want to place them below the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.