Clear Natural-light Tortoise Shelter Roof

kameya

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, California
When my family is getting rid of an old refrigerator, I saved the clear shelf thinking I can use it for small water turtles habitat. But I accidentally flipped it over, I thought I can use it as a clear natural-light roof for my outdoor tortoise cinder block shelter... now my tortoises can enjoy some natural lighting inside their shelter. Just to share the idea on how any tortoise keeper can make anything useful for their tortoise habitats...tortoise clear roof.jpg

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
When my family is getting rid of an old refrigerator, I saved the clear shelf thinking I can use it for small water turtles habitat. But I accidentally flipped it over, I thought I can use it as a clear natural-light roof for my outdoor tortoise cinder block shelter... now my tortoises can enjoy some natural lighting inside their shelter. Just to share the idea on how any tortoise keeper can make anything useful for their tortoise habitats...View attachment 260592
Love the idea.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Keep two things in mind:
One is that UVB can not pass through glass. So they will get light but no beneficial UV.

Secondly is that light going through glass can sometimes focus into a very hot area.
Like in starting a fire with a magnifying glass.
Glass refraction may also cause a greenhouse effect. Not super heating any area. But significantly raising the temperature over all.
These things may or may not be an issue. But it'd be smart to check. Especially in an area that confined.
Otherwise...Nice way to use found items. (I hope I didn't sound overly critical.)

kameya

10 Year Member!
Orange County, California
Keep two things in mind:
One is that UVB can not pass through glass. So they will get light but no beneficial UV.

Secondly is that light going through glass can sometimes focus into a very hot area.
Like in starting a fire with a magnifying glass.
Glass refraction may also cause a greenhouse effect. Not super heating any area. But significantly raising the temperature over all.
These things may or may not be an issue. But it'd be smart to check. Especially in an area that confined.
Otherwise...Nice way to use found items. (I hope I didn't sound overly critical.)

Hi Zeropilot,

Thanks for for your valid concerns. The clear roof is added to add some natural lighting into tortoise's hiding dungeon, and also created some green house effect to capture some heat from the winter sun. But there is enough room underneath the cinder block cover for the tortoises to retreat into their micro-climate comfort zone, as you can see that from the original habitat photo below...

IMG_8535.JPG

The tortoises will also still come out of their outdoor hideout from the tiny entrance on the left side of this shelter in the photos every day to walk around and graze. But if it does get to hot in the summer, I can always replace the clear roof with the flooring tile...

DSC07955.JPG