Clear Growing edges on carapace

Paschendale52

5 Year Member
Hi everyone!

Looking my yearling southern painted turtles I noticed some clear growth on the carapace all the way around. I've noticed it in the past and just assumed its the carapace growth process to grow in clear and then color in. Can anyone verify that? I can get pictures if needed.

Thanks,

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Southern Painteds have a ring of orange/red all the way around the very outer margin of the carapace. Depending upon diet and conditions, it can come in with really pale colors... A picture would be good, please.

Paschendale52

5 Year Member
When I tried to get a picture it looked much more like an orange circle all around the edge, so its probably that. That said, heres a few pictures.

DSC_3498.JPG DSC_3499.JPG DSC_3500.JPG DSC_3502.JPG

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Looks like a nice healthy turtle. That is the normal ring painted have around the carapace. Diet and time of year condition will often turn it a stunning bright orange/red. Good job on raising that turtle through the first year. That's the toughest for them

Paschendale52

5 Year Member
Looks like a nice healthy turtle. That is the normal ring painted have around the carapace. Diet and time of year condition will often turn it a stunning bright orange/red. Good job on raising that turtle through the first year. That's the toughest for them

Good to hear! Thanks!

We nicknamed the two of them fatty and slim due to the width of their racing stripes, but they have totally reversed our names on us. This guy (fatty) is probably 40 - 50% smaller than slim. I'd have to weigh them to quantify the difference, but their size difference blows me away.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Good to hear! Thanks!

We nicknamed the two of them fatty and slim due to the width of their racing stripes, but they have totally reversed our names on us. This guy (fatty) is probably 40 - 50% smaller than slim. I'd have to weigh them to quantify the difference, but their size difference blows me away.
Yes, they do often grow at very different rates. The larger may be female, as they get so much larger and the males stay so small.
Also, it does look like this is an intergrade between eastern and southern.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida

Agree. They look just great to me.
Southern painted turtles are the most unique/different of the painted turtle group. I guess some would argue that western painted turtles are the most strikingly marked, but the little southerns are just weird!

Paschendale52

5 Year Member
Yes, they do often grow at very different rates. The larger may be female, as they get so much larger and the males stay so small.
Also, it does look like this is an intergrade between eastern and southern.

Interesting. What makes you say that it looks like an integrade?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Interesting. What makes you say that it looks like an integrade?
The Eastern painted is the only turtle whose vertebral and costal scutes align. All others are perfectly staggered. You can see on your turtle, the scutes are close to being aligned as opposed to each seam being in the middle of the opposing scute.