Cleaning the Carapace?

AmberD

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario
Is there a specific way/how often to clean a tortoise's carapace or plastron? Or does it even need to be done? I have a 5 month old Redfoot. Curious as he/she gets older if this is something I will need to do or if I should already be doing it? Daily soaks for about 15-25 min are already given.
Thank you!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
No you don't have to clean them . But we do . Tooth brush and warm water . If you soak your tortoise daily they stay clean .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with Mike. Not necessary, but I do like to see the pretty colors and markings. If there is a really dirty area I will sometimes use a toothbrush, but in most cases, I just wipe off any dirt with my hands while holding the tortoise under slowly running warm water after a soak. SInce I am rinsing them after a soak anyway, I just go ahead and wipe off the dirt while I'm doing it.

AmberD

Ontario
I agree with Mike. Not necessary, but I do like to see the pretty colors and markings. If there is a really dirty area I will sometimes use a toothbrush, but in most cases, I just wipe off any dirt with my hands while holding the tortoise under slowly running warm water after a soak. SInce I am rinsing them after a soak anyway, I just go ahead and wipe off the dirt while I'm doing it.
Makes sense, thank you!