Cleaning Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

TORTOISEHOME

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have a question concerning enclosures and making them clean for re-use. I am going to be building a couple habitats 8' X 8' that will house rescued tortoises and since some of them are larger I need to keep them outside in a area big enough rather than a tank. During the spring/summer months, we expect tortoises coming and going quickly so there is a large amount of animals in one area( not at the same time ). My question is when I rotate tortoises in and out from these habitats, is there anything I can spray ( Naturally) or safe to kill any harmful bacteria that will not spread from one animal to another? I know dog kennels use bleach solution because it desolves and evaporates. Any help would be awesome.

FYI - Habitats are wood boarding around perimeter and dirt/rock substrate.

Thanks

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
S. Oregon
Hey Mongo, try asking a vet what they clean their areas with or a kennels or even a zoo.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...You can make a solution of 1:10 bleach:water and spray it down really good. I let it soak a few minutes. Then rinse well. I use a hose to rinse with cause the pressure gets into the pores. Then I let it sit in the sun for a couple days, and spray it with Nolvasan or 2% Chlorhexadine. You can get it from Walmart. I assume the wood is painted or has polyurethane on it. You can also spray the bleach solution on the outside dirt, but wait for a good rain or hose it thoroughly before putting anyone in it.
Good luck
Patsy

Status
Not open for further replies.