Classified Ad Replies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, CA
How is everyone adjusting to the disabling of classified ad replies? Is everything working out okay? I'd love to hear feedback from both sellers and buyers. Lay it on me!

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Josh said:
How is everyone adjusting to the disabling of classified ad replies? Is everything working out okay? I'd love to hear feedback from both sellers and buyers. Lay it on me!

I made some constructive and it was deleted.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
i wish we could ask questions, or if someone doesnt know how to post pics, i would like to be able to post them for them.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Yeah I think we should be able to post there too. :(

Josh

TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
If someone doesn't know how to post photos we can link them to the tutorial thread. This is the only equitable way to display ads without policing the classifieds section.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
It's kind of like censorship. And the ones that always complain about having their ad 'hijacked' are the ones pulling that same crap on other people's ads...just food-for-thought.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
what if someone posts a picture of a sulcata tortoise, claims it to be female, but looks like male. should there be a way to inform perspective buyers of this inaccuracy?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I believe that is what PM's are for. And please censorship? it's a forum, you either follow the rules or don't contribute, sorry if that sounded harsh.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
dmmj said:
I believe that is what PM's are for. And please censorship? it's a forum, you either follow the rules or don't contribute, sorry if that sounded harsh.

its a PUBLIC forum... the things that should be censored are bad words, racist statements, threatening words and things of that sort...

ok, so how would you PM perspective buyers of this fictional ad...

" very large sulcata for sale. It is a female. It weighs a ton. Please call me at 555-555-5555. Asking $300 cash pick up only. "

if someone places that ad, how can we warn people to insure it is a female.

this is just one of many reasons why replies are absolutely critical to ensure a safe and fair transaction occurs.

if TFO is willing to have a For Sale section, then TFO needs to provide the means to provide the most accurate information possible to protect the buyer.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Well i would assume you PM a mod and then they can either change or delete it, that is what mods are for.

Josh

TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
This isn't a debate thread. The current policy shall remain. What I AM interested in hearing about is real feedback - not hypotheticals. Anyone?

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
You are correct Josh!

When someone lists a tortoise for sale.. I doubt they are interested in anything other than from potential buyers. The ads are for business purposes ONLY.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
I've got to agree. This is much more in line with how a lot of other online classifieds-type sections are run. The seller lists the ad and buyers contact him/her directly. I don't see anything wrong with the change.

If the buyer makes the mistake of not checking or of not getting all the details for him/herself then that's their mistake. If however a buyer is being purposely misleading in the ad (saying it's a female when it's obviously a male for instance) then what though? Does TFO turn a blind eye to it?

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Hi there, well I posted an ad for a RF and got no responses!! Maybe it was because of the new policy??? It could be.... Na

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, I just looked at the thread: tortoises in socal shelters, all desert tortoises? and there are 17 replies and most of them are just people talking about desert tortoises in shelters. If it's been disabled, why are people able to respond?

Josh

TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
Yvonne, that's because it's an adoption thread.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, but its a sub-forum under the for sale section. The rules don't apply?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Nay, does it show how many Views you got? If someone was really interested in what you have.. they would find a way to contact you.. PM, email.. new posting.. etc.. :)
We will survive this new rule.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.