Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Cinco de Mayo is the day on which Mexicans commemorate the Battle of Puebla. During that 1862 conflict, a small, Mexican army defeated the invading French colonial army.

So, if this day is a day of celebration for you, then:

1212388dx6eta085d.gif

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
Lots of good drink specials at the bars. :cool:

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.
At my 2nd bar now. Only specials they have are yucky tequilla drinks or shots... and nasty Corona... :) man these bars need to carry Absinthe... i miss New Orleans...

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
Seriously? Beers are like 50 cents here! I guess it's good to live near the border! :D

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
What?! Phew, I spit on that statement! No corona? I had absinthe and it was the worst drink I've EVER had. I believe I had it the correct way, sugar, drink, and the fire. I cringe thinking about it.

JeffG said:
Seriously? Beers are like 50 cents here! I guess it's good to live near the border! :D

What?! That's crazy, aye California prices suck.

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.
Yeah i use to live in Palm Springs was uber close to TJ and Mexicalli ... moving to Oregon was dumb... :)

Blake m said:
What?! Phew, I spit on that statement! No corona? I had absinthe and it was the worst drink I've EVER had. I believe I had it the correct way, sugar, drink, and the fire. I cringe thinking about it.

What?! That's crazy, aye California prices suck.

Lol... I'm a huge Absinthe connisour. My own fountains/spoons/glassed and all ... posters here and there... mmm. And yes thats the traditional Ritual.. but if you drank in the US it was probably all alcohol and anise. There is Red Absinthe, anise free, french, chech, Pernod is popular.Sebor is a favorite classic. $135 a bottle without shipping... i could show you yummy libations. Or my Absinthe Halloween Jellow Shots... one usually floors people... ;-p

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Sounds interesting but I will stick with my corona and lime by the pool :)

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.
Lol sounds good. I always enjoy a 40 ounce of Old E on the sofa...

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I didn't know the ban on Absinthe had been lifted. Learn something new here everyday. :)

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Not only was it Cinco de Mayo but the biggest full moon last night and I had to work a 24. As an EMT not a good night :(

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
I was on the other side of Michigan last night in Grand Rapids working a show and when we left the streets were full crazy drunks having fun. It made me wish I had asked my animal sitter to stay another night so I could be out celebrating too :p
Happy belated everyone

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
My long time ('bout 38 years) buddy Pedro Rodriguez explained the origin of the holiday to me many years ago...

Back in 1912, Hellmann’s mayonnaise was manufactured in England. In fact, the Titanic was carrying 12,000 jars of the condiment scheduled for delivery in Vera Cruz, Mexico, which was to be the next port of call for the great ship after its stop in New York. This would have been the largest single shipment of mayonnaise ever delivered to Mexico but as we know, the great ship did not make it to New York.

The ship hit an iceberg and sank and the cargo was forever lost. The people of Mexico, who were crazy about mayonnaise and were eagerly awaiting its delivery, were disconsolate at the loss. Their anguish was so great, that they declared a National Day of Mourning which they still observe to this day. The National Day of Mourning occurs each year on May 5th and is known, of course as Sinko de Mayo. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.