Christmas vacation

Status
Not open for further replies.

shelly-ornateBT

5 Year Member
Hello everyone,

I'm seeking some advice. We have a baby ornate BT that we received in late August. She is doing well and healthy. Hoping that shows in the provided pics. We unfortunately had our prior TTBT pass away earlier in the summer. We got our prior TTBT after she was about 2 years old and would had hibernate her for a few months over the winter. When we ordered our new ornate BT from T&T it was advertised as a well started yearling. Once received based on her size etc that she was a baby and not a yearling. She was beautiful and healthy so wasn't worth complaining.

This is our first baby BT. I read the advice about the concerns and risks with hibernating hatchlings and planned not so. The advice I seek is regarding at Christmas are to be gone for 7 days and I'm not confident that we can find someone to care for her in our absence. We have a humidifier that is on a timer along with we'll moistened soil. I'm not worried about dehydration. I also considered reducing the wattage of the heat lamp to a lower power that would lower the dehydration rate but to also reduce her metabolism. Was thinking maybe having her house around a low 70 temp? Was also considering placing some extra crickets in her house for some food that she could catch.

I would be very grateful on any advice on how to best care for her for an absence of 7 days if we can't find someone to turtle sit for us.

Attachments

• image-680648377.png
    image-680648377.png
    163.1 KB · Views: 60
  • image-2602103696.png
    image-2602103696.png
    180.9 KB · Views: 54
  • image-270468230.png
    image-270468230.png
    264.7 KB · Views: 48
  • image-1960369671.png
    image-1960369671.png
    254.6 KB · Views: 45
  • image-1738837592.png
    image-1738837592.png
    200.5 KB · Views: 54

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Are you driving to wherever vacation is? You can take the whole aquarium with you. Just bring the lights and heat too.

shelly-ornateBT

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Are you driving to wherever vacation is? You can take the whole aquarium with you. Just bring the lights and heat too.

Unfortunately no we are flying. We live in Texas and flying to Indiana. We made the flight reservations long before our new BT arrived.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That is one little cutie and nice enclosure. That little, I would take it with also, if that's possible.

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
You can get a thermostat that will maintain certain temps while you are gone and throw the other lights on timers . I would at least get someone to come change the water a few times while you are gone.

shelly-ornateBT

5 Year Member
Anyone else with advice on the risks with that length of time gone and what could be done to reduce that beyond what I wrote prior?

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I would get timers for the lights, and mist it down for before, feed him a good meal, and he will be good. I've left mine for days without food, if you can find someone to check on them that would help. Or even someone willing to plug in the tank or have a temp. Rubbermaid in there house for the 7 days. If all comes down to it he would make the 7 days as long as you do timers and maybe even a humidifier,

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
Just be cautious if you are going to put any kind of heat lamp on the timer since you are not there to check the temps . He would prob be fine with just the UV light on a timer for "day light" . You can get a "mealworm dish" for about $4 on amazon. It works well because you can leave worms and they can't crawl out !

Hunahpu

5 Year Member
Colorado
I would definitely get someone to at least check in and do water/food changes if you can. Does the little guy eat red wigglers? Those might be a safer bet to leave for a long period of time.

Check with your vet too, sometimes they'll do boarding.

bmt123

5 Year Member
You might want to check with some local pet shops mine does reptile boarding.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Just shut off the light and let the room cool a little. They will be fine for a week. Won't starve.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I also am leaving soon for a vacation. I am a total nervous wreck because I am leaving my box turtles home. My husband will be there tho. I am leaving him a list of things but I have my way of doing things and I am worried. I Know everyone probably thinks I am nuts but that is just how I am. We are already taking 2 hermit crabs and a hampster on this trip. I wish we could take the rest of my zoo! :) This trip is mostly for my daughter. We are heading to Fla to see her grandparents. My hubby is also taking care of all the other pets that are listed at the bottom of my post...minus what we are taking.

Well, so sorry for venting. I will have a good time and I hope you do the same :)

Status
Not open for further replies.