Chris Leone- Garden State Tortoise & Hermanni Haven

Brandon W

Location (City and/or State)
Rye Brook, New York
Hi all! I recently bought a baby hermann's tortoise from Hermanni Chris. He is great, he answered all my questions even though most of them were silly and had a simple answer. He answers all my emails within 10 minutes of sending them. He really knows and loves his tortoises and wants to see them thrive! the tortoise came and was packaged great and was ready to go and move around!! I recommend everyone checks him out. I would not second guess myself in buying another tortoise from him!!!! (sorry for the blurry photo)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    132.7 KB · Views: 526

baker27

5 Year Member
This is my first time posting. I recently purchased my first tortoise, a Southern Ibera Greek Hatchling, from Chris at Garden State Tortoise. Chris was a extremely helpful and answered the "100" questions I had before making a purchase. He was quick to answer all my emails. My hatchling arrived quickly and after a soaking immediately started to eat. This baby is flawless! Has a great appetite and is already eating out of my hand. He contacted me a week later to check up on our new baby and make sure everything was going well. I highly recommend Chris, he is very passionate about what he does and it shows in the many species he breeds and keeps. I would absolutely purchase another tortoise from him in the future!
www.GARDENSTATETORTOISE.com

DanaRae60

5 Year Member
San Clemente, California
I am purchasing a Dalmatian Hermanns from Chris this week. I have peppered Chris with lots of questions and he has been incredibly nice, helpful and speedy with all his responses. It's really nice to work with someone who loves what they do and truly cares about the animals. Plus the pictures of his tortoise habitats inspire me to create the best environment possible for our new babe.

Dorrie Siu

It all started when I was mislead and was told I got a THH and I found out she was really a THB from a reptile place near me. Chris was there for me when I was upset and was very compassionate about my situation. This had nothing to do with adopting a tort from him, he was just there as a caring human being.

Weeks later, when the bitterness had faded, I contacted Chris to ask him if he had any THB available for adoption. He sent me a group photo of which were ready for new homes. From there I chose two and he sent more pics of each one.

He was very patient with me when I asked questions and assisted me in starting a paypal account. This was getting to be late for him, and I didn't realize that it was three hours later for him than it was for me. It was past his bedtime!

The very next day, he sent the baby out. I was nervous because I have never had an animal sent to me. And we live on opposite ends of the country. She arrived on time, and safe.

He put a warning on the front.

10600394_10204745385773639_3677489620826348045_n.jpg

Lots of padding here.

10612539_10204745385973644_6605885844267628855_n.jpg

She's in moss.

10298994_10204745386173649_5258983888085892674_n.jpg

Here she is, right when I lifted her out.

10636053_10204745386693662_3489260823965630554_n.jpg

She even pooped on her first soak

10629807_10204745387253676_2785324123921248129_n.jpg

Beautiful markings...

10686632_10204745387573684_3859790335574740785_n.jpg

...and an adorable face.

10672289_10204745387893692_8690282439845963278_n.jpg

She's already wanting to walk around, proving that she is strong and endured the cross country trip. But I am going to follow his instructions to let her be in her new little home to rest.

I've had a great experience working with Chris during this whole transaction and I am HIGHLY recommend him as a breeder. Thank you Chris. Thanks for everything.

jonathan gray

5 Year Member
I have know Chris Leone for years and recently reconnected with him when I read an article on Spotted Turtles he had written for 'Reptiles' Magazine. Since that reconnection I have purchased a number of animals from him and I must say I have never been so pleased as I am with the animals he sent me. The pair of redfoots are magnificent: huge, heavy, personable. They far exceeded my hopes. I also purchased some Chinese Box Turtles from him and, again, I couldn't be more happy. Fat and sassy, they were chowing down earthworms and bananas within minutes of being unpacked. I would unreservedly recommend Chris and Garden State Tortoises to any serious tortoise keeper

Attachments

• !!red.jpg
    !!red.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 140

Dorrie Siu

Yep, Jonathan! My baby is certainly healthy!! And if they get a great start like this, they will be strong adults if kept properly. But most of all, it's the interaction Chris has with people that really touched me in the beginning. He really did help me out and he's never met me before. It was the human part, not the business part. And that is so important nowadays in a world where people are just out for money.

DanaRae60

5 Year Member
San Clemente, California
I cannot say enough nice things about Chris Leone. We purchased a 3 month old Dalmatian Hermann's tortoise from Chris, which just arrived today. After a quick soak I deposited him into his new home. I have not seen him eat yet, but I have left him alone to rest after his long journey from New Jersey to Southern California. He is the most adorable tortoise ever and I look forward to watching him grow.

Chris is extremely nice, responsive, knowledgable and generous and you can tell that he truly cares about what he does.

World, meet Luis! image.jpg

GodStillBlesses

Winston, GA
I have personally raised turtles for over 20 years. The first tortoise I worked with was Testudo hermanni hercegovinensis. He was misidentified ( from the seller and I did not know) as a Testudo hermanni hermanni. In the search for him a mate I joined every forum that talked about turtles and tortoises. It is on one of those forums that I met Chris Leone.

I currently have a group of 24 non related Testudo hermanni hermanni broken down in to locals. Mr. Chris Leone from Garden State Tortoise is who I got all of them from. Mr. Leone has been a great teacher over the years. He has given me great advise, reassured me when I got discouraged, answered every question I have ever asked him.

I wanted to buy a particular breed from another well respected breeder, but the breeder wanted me to give him a reference of someone who could verify my ability to raise this particular tortoise. ( some folks still care about the tortoise 1st and the money 2nd) Mr. Leone was quick to say that he would give me that reference. He did not have to do that, but he went above and beyond what a lot of other dealers would do.

There are two people I call before I purchase any turtle or tortoise, Mr. Chris Leone is one of them. I admire his passion for tortoises and envy his knowledge.

John R.

10360415_10153189681665802_2297955513637665311_n.jpg
I am here to add to Chris' already great reputation. I purchased a Tuscan T. hermanni hermanni from him which just arrived today. The packaging was wonderful and the little guy was eating not even 10 min after unboxing it.

I have bought many reptiles from breeders and dealers over the years and none of them come close to the quality of service I've gotten from him. He was very quick to respond to emails and gives great advice.

Other big things that set him apart is that he is very conservation-minded, publishes and provides educational material, and is passionate enough to create his own T. hermanni hermanni studbook and keep records on all of his animals and offspring.

I would definitely recommend Garden State Tortoises and plan on purchasing more hermanni from him in the future.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
I have nothing bad but everything good to say about Chris. He and I have been working together to get my little Charlie. Because of this horrid weather it has been a long road. So maybe next month. But Chris is great about answering my question and giving me advice. I am so happy that I chose him to bring us our new family member. :)

Erica DA

5 Year Member
I ordered a Dalmatian Hermann from Chris. Before I placed an order, I had a gazillion questions. He was super fast in responding through email and eased my mind about tortoise care. Days after I ordered, weather wasn't the greatest and Chris had advised to wait for better weather to ship. Although I was bummed, I understood. You can really tell that he cares about the well being of the animal. Finally received my hatchling today! He/She was alert right out of the box. After a soaking and a poop, they were placed in its enclosure and was very curious and seemingly content. I have nothing but GREAT things to say about Garden State Tortoises.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Thank you Chris for the perfect baby. He was packaged so very well. He came out of the boxes bright eyes and ready for the world. He had a soak, weight, and then to his home. He started trying to eat everything in sight. He is exploring his home. I could not have asked for anything better. Chris was there to answer any and all of my questions. He was also quick to answer them.
eating already.jpg

4jean

5 Year Member
New York State
I finally received my Southern Ibera Greek from Chris today. It has been really cold here in New York State and as soon as the temperature stabilized Chris contacted me to ship my tortoise. My tortoise arrived this morning. It is very active and after a soak, is exploring its new home. I am so impressed with Chris. I have had my new tortoise an hour and have already emailed him twice. He responds immediately. He has been incredibly helpful throughout this entire process. I even changed my order before shipment. I am not an experienced tortoise owner. I recently lost my first tortoise which I purchased from a pet store. I am wary and nervous and somewhat annoying with my questions. The care and keeping of a tortoise has brought me so much joy, I have Chris to thank for the reassurance I needed to try again. I would highly recommend Garden State Tortoise to anyone looking to purchase a tortoise.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
I finally received my Southern Ibera Greek from Chris today. It has been really cold here in New York State and as soon as the temperature stabilized Chris contacted me to ship my tortoise. My tortoise arrived this morning. It is very active and after a soak, is exploring its new home. I am so impressed with Chris. I have had my new tortoise an hour and have already emailed him twice. He responds immediately. He has been incredibly helpful throughout this entire process. I even changed my order before shipment. I am not an experienced tortoise owner. I recently lost my first tortoise which I purchased from a pet store. I am wary and nervous and somewhat annoying with my questions. The care and keeping of a tortoise has brought me so much joy, I have Chris to thank for the reassurance I needed to try again. I would highly recommend Garden State Tortoise to anyone looking to purchase a tortoise.
I got my baby today too :) from Chris. he does not seem to mind my endless questions.

Dtiny_312

After doing research on breeders, it was suggested to me that I speak to Chris about purchasing my first tortoise. He spoke to me about the different types that he had and I made the decision to buy from him the very next day! I decided to purchase a Dalmatian Hermann and couldn't wait for it's arrival! I had to wait some time for it to show up due to icy/snowy weather, but I gained a great respect for Chris for him not risking the animal's life for a timely shipment. I knew of many other breeders/companies that were shipping during this time and I can almost guarantee the animals did not show up in that great of a condition. When I received my tort, it was packaged so that the animal would remain safe, still have humidity, and be kept warm for the overnight shipment. The tortoise was very alert upon opening the container and after a soak, it was put in it's enclosure. Immediately the little fella became active and explored it's new home!

I'm very pleased with my decision to purchase from Chris and will remain a loyal customer! I highly recommend Garden State Tortoise to anyone that wants top quality torts! Not only is the animal great quality, but it was a pleasure speaking with Chris. He answered all emails in a timely fashion and was as friendly as can be.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
I love that even after the purchase of my tortoise Chris is still there to guide me and help me with questions. It proves how much he cares. My baby eats, drinks and poops like a champ. He has since the day he came home. thanks again Chris. :)

Melissa319

5 Year Member
outside of Phoenix, AZ
I purchased a hatchling leopard tortoise from Chris, the baby arrived yesterday. Chris was great with communication, answered emails promptly and was more than just "all business" which I appreciate.

When opening the box, I had to laugh at the ticked off creature contained within. Thankfully, after a soak and being plopped into a dish of food, this little one took right off. Great looking, solid baby.

I would definitely purchase from Chris again and would happily recommend him to anyone.

Blurry photo as I didn't want to bug the wee one :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,003.4 KB · Views: 153