Choosing a species of tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

freyar

5 Year Member
I don't have a tortoise yet but I will soon. I have had turtles before but while I was away for a few months they died at my friends house :(. That was a couple years ago and now I might get a Russian tortoise because it seems like a good choice for our weather. My mom wants something that can live outside in the summer and will hibernate during the winter.I live in New York State. Her mom had a tortoise for 15 years and she says that on October 21 every year in goes into hibernation and on May 21 it wakes up. It lives on a balcony and eats plants all the time. The shell is about a foot in diameter. :tort: What kind of tortoise do you recommend for us? We don't need a really small tortoise because it will probably live in the rabbit run in the summer (gave rabbit away because of neighborhood cats watching it all the time, they never got in but they were freaking our territorial cat out) and we could hibernate it in the winter. Or could it hibernate itself outside if we insulate the rabbit cage really really well? We have a doghouse like little house that we could insulate pretty easily, or we could put it in the basement.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Freyar and welcome to the Forum!

A Russian or steppe tortoise is a good choice for a first tortoise. They are pretty easy to keep and are very forgiving of poor care while you are on your learning curve.

Steppe tortoises can hibernate (or brumate) outside as long as you don't get too much rain during the winter. If they get very wet while they are brumating, they may die.

We have a member here, GBTortoises, who lives in New York, and I believe he keeps his tortoises outside year round. I hope I'm remembering that correctly.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
Russian torts are the ideal for learners. they're very hardy and can withstand a wide range of temps and care. of course, you want to do all your research so this tort isn't a complete experiment, know what you're getting yourself into.

i keep my Russians outside from march to sept, depending on temps. any lower than 40 and i bring them in, but that's just me. i know a lot of people who experience winter with snow who allow their torts to burmate outside. most bury themselves long before their owner decides its cold enough to bring them in. but i heard if it gets below freezing, their eye balls could freeze ):

alita

5 Year Member
what about a marginata? they also hibernate and grow big and nice, right?

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I think what you should do, is pick out whichever species you like, for whatever reason. Looks, size, personality, habits, whatever. Then investigate the care necessary for that particular species. If you like the smaller species, there are plenty to pick from. There are several potentially large or giant ones as well. It's probably safe to say that the big ones are more expensive to keep - more food, bigger pens etc...

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome. I think Russian are a good starter tort. They are small and hearty. Also very cute...

Status
Not open for further replies.