Choosing a healthy Sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

applemcdandy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have a few questions that I couldn't find answered(or maybe overlooked).

1. What do I look for when choosing a baby tortoise? I've never had anything but fish and mammals. It's easy to spot symptoms or behavior to avoid. But I've never had a tortoise or any reptile as a pet so I'm not sure how to spot a sickly or just poor tortoise. I would assume that clear eyes, "normal" shell shape and no wheezing or breathing issues are sure sings, but is there anything else? I'll be going to a reptile show Saturday so I'm trying to get as educated as possible before arriving!

2. Just how fast do they grow? I talked to an employee of a reputable pet shop in the area (they rescue and breed in house) and he said that they can grow up to ten inches in diameter in the first year. That sure sounds excessive. Other websites and posts I've read here seem to indicate that they grow at different rates depending on humidity, lighting and how well they eat. I live in an apartment right now, but I do have the room for a wandering tortoise. Just not anything larger than a foot and a half. I'm afraid that a 10x12 bedroom may not be sufficient for exercise :/

3. Hibernating. I asked the employee and he said they don't need it since their sulcatas are captive bred. But again, this issue seems to be constantly debated. Some websites agree, some don't. A lot of folks on here seem all for it. What is the harm in NOT hibernating a sulcata?

4. Regarding reptile shows... Are the vendors generally reputable? Should I stay away from certain kinds of people? I'm familiar with what to watch for in good dog and cat breeders, but I don't believe there are conformation and agility shows for tortoises ;) I just want to get a healthy little buddy who will surely outlive me.

Thanks!

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
S. Oregon
applemcdandy said:

1. What do I look for when choosing a baby tortoise? I've never had anything but fish and mammals. It's easy to spot symptoms or behavior to avoid. But I've never had a tortoise or any reptile as a pet so I'm not sure how to spot a sickly or just poor tortoise. I would assume that clear eyes, "normal" shell shape and no wheezing or breathing issues are sure sings, but is there anything else? I'll be going to a reptile show Saturday so I'm trying to get as educated as possible before arriving!
Look for one that stomps around and acts lively, has good poo and as you said looks healthy. This could be hard to do at a show since most babies will be sleeping.

2. Just how fast do they grow? I talked to an employee of a reputable pet shop in the area (they rescue and breed in house) and he said that they can grow up to ten inches in diameter in the first year. That sure sounds excessive. Other websites and posts I've read here seem to indicate that they grow at different rates depending on humidity, lighting and how well they eat. I live in an apartment right now, but I do have the room for a wandering tortoise. Just not anything larger than a foot and a half. I'm afraid that a 10x12 bedroom may not be sufficient for exercise :/
They do grow at different rates. I have 7 of them and they are all different. The largest one I have is going on 3 years old and is only 7". You will need lots of room though in the future because they get huge.

3. Hibernating. I asked the employee and he said they don't need it since their sulcatas are captive bred. But again, this issue seems to be constantly debated. Some websites agree, some don't. A lot of folks on here seem all for it. What is the harm in NOT hibernating a sulcata?
They do NOT hibernate at all

4. Regarding reptile shows... Are the vendors generally reputable? Should I stay away from certain kinds of people? I'm familiar with what to watch for in good dog and cat breeders, but I don't believe there are conformation and agility shows for tortoises ;) I just want to get a healthy little buddy who will surely outlive me.
Someone else will have to answer this one.

Thanks!

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Chucky just about covered everything. One thing I would like to add is that the tort should not be wandering about your house. You should have an enclosure for him with proper lighting and heat. Sulcatas require the warmth and uv exposure for proper health.

Sulcata Lover

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
applemcdandy said:

1. What do I look for when choosing a baby tortoise? I've never had anything but fish and mammals. It's easy to spot symptoms or behavior to avoid. But I've never had a tortoise or any reptile as a pet so I'm not sure how to spot a sickly or just poor tortoise. I would assume that clear eyes, "normal" shell shape and no wheezing or breathing issues are sure sings, but is there anything else? I'll be going to a reptile show Saturday so I'm trying to get as educated as possible before arriving! (All of the things you mentioned above are very important. Check the torts nostrils and make sure it is not blowing bubbles when it breaths.As far as purchasing one from a show... I would seriously do my homework on the vendors. Find out who has the best reputation. You can always use the show as a learning event to see what you really want. This way you actually get to see the animal up close before you buy. Dont be afraid to purchase it online..There are several breeders out there who are really good to work with.. Example: JEFF GEE: CAPTIVE BRED WILDLIFE FOUNDATION. CBWF.com This guy breeds Sulcatas and is great to work with.)

2. Just how fast do they grow? I talked to an employee of a reputable pet shop in the area (they rescue and breed in house) and he said that they can grow up to ten inches in diameter in the first year. That sure sounds excessive. Other websites and posts I've read here seem to indicate that they grow at different rates depending on humidity, lighting and how well they eat. I live in an apartment right now, but I do have the room for a wandering tortoise. Just not anything larger than a foot and a half. I'm afraid that a 10x12 bedroom may not be sufficient for exercise :/ ( first of all, 10 inches a year is streching it a bit! BUT NOT IMPOSSIBLE! Also, everyone is going to disagree on this subject.. This is one of those areas that keepers and hobbiests dont agree on. IN MY OPINION,
slow and steady growth is the healthiest for any tortoise. I have a 2 year old Sulcata that is 6 Inches long. In fact, the breeder told me that the few he still has left of that same clutch are 5-8 inches in lenghth.
So I think genetics as well as diet has a part in the growth rate. About the apartment... Generally, its not a good idea to keep a Sulcata in an apartment for a couple of reasons. First, he's going to outgrow it.. Sulcatas need to be outside whenever possible. They love it dry and hot. They need the natural UVB from the sun for proper calcium absorption. Of course you can keep them indoors for the winter with the proper setup, but they really need to be outside. I used to let mine wander the house to ..Until he PEE'D !! HA.. Even a little Sulcata can really go!!)

( Sulcatas dont hibernate)

4. Regarding reptile shows... Are the vendors generally reputable? Should I stay away from certain kinds of people? I'm familiar with what to watch for in good dog and cat breeders, but I don't believe there are conformation and agility shows for tortoises ;) I just want to get a healthy little buddy who will surely outlive me. ( Again get online, Do your homework.. It will make a difference.. Let me sum it like this.. One baby Sulcata Tortoise bought from a Pet store $125.00.... Invoice from UC Davis for metabolic bone disease Vet bills $895.00 Doing my homework and having the knowledge to NEVER do that again..PRICELESS!!!!!) ....PS.. that was our first Sulcata "IGGY".. He never did recover. Anyway, I hope this helps!

Thanks!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I think just about everything has been said with the exception of do you have a good reptile vet in your area that knows tortoises specifically Sulcatas? You may want to check into this. It is much better to do this research now than when ones shelled baby is sick or in a crisis.

applemcdandy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thank you so much for the fast replies. I suppose I should clarify a few things:

I live in an apartment now, but plan to move within the year, or at most two years.(My house hunt revolves around the premise of building a roaming yard and winter barn for the tortoise) I plan on starting smallish with an enclosure about the size of a kiddie pool while it's still very small, and then building a suitable sized enclosure nearly the size of the room itself as it grows larger. I know not to let it wander around the actual apartment as I 1) have stairs, 2) have cats and 3) have used shampoos on the carpeting that could be potentially harmful. Plus there is no way to regulate temperatures for the tort unless it's just in his/her specific area. I promise, I'm doing my homework!

As far as the reptile show, yeah, I'm just going to meet and look for potential local-ish breeders. I don't plan to actually get a tortoise until April because with the snow still flying, I never know when I'll have to go out and work. And torts need daily attention. Plus there is a ton of prep work I have to do before actually bringing a tortoise home.

I use a wonderful exotics vet for my rabbits, and they also care for other small mammals and birds as well as cats and dogs. They are not open until Monday, so I will call and ask about tortoises then. I live in the southern Milwaukee area though in case anyone knows of a great vet offhand.

Umm...oh hibernating. Exactly what I thought but I figured it doesn't hurt to ask. I bet I just misread the categories when I did a search on it. Boy I feel silly now.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Sounds like you are off to a good start. I saw that "Sulcata Lover" mentioned Jeff Gee's name as a breeder. I just thought that I would let you know that I got my 2 leopards from him and he was super helpful and the transaction was easy. He came to me as a recommendation and I was very pleased. The other thing that you may want to consider is taking in a rescue. There are so many sulcatas out there that need homes. Check on petfinder.com and you may find one that needs a good home.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
As far as purchasing at a reptile show, you follow the same rules as at a dog or cat show. As a long time breeder and shower of cats (2 national winners and numerous regional winners) you want to buy from a breeder that is willing to sit down with you and discuss the pros and cons (and all animals have pro and cons) of the particular animal they are selling. If they are not willing to do this, run not walk away. A good breeder is more than willing to talk about their animal and give you good advice and is willing to keep in contact with you if future problems or questions come up.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Itort said:
As far as purchasing at a reptile show, you follow the same rules as at a dog or cat show. As a long time breeder and shower of cats (2 national winners and numerous regional winners) you want to buy from a breeder that is willing to sit down with you and discuss the pros and cons (and all animals have pro and cons) of the particular animal they are selling. If they are not willing to do this, run not walk away. A good breeder is more than willing to talk about their animal and give you good advice and is willing to keep in contact with you if future problems or questions come up.

When I buy at a reptile show I always get a receipt and ask about their health guarantee. Get their name & address & email address in case you have questions. I also prefer to get one that I see is eating. Ask the seller to put some food in the container so you can pick one that is eating.
Good that you are planning ahead. Do you have room in your apartment to build a tortoise table? If you get a hatchling you can just use a rubbermaid type tote. My babies are in one that is 4' long,18" wide & 8" deep. It will probably be good for a year or 2.
Good luck
Patsy

applemcdandy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I'd like to just say thanks again for all the helpful replies. And it turns out that my current exotics vet does care for sulcata torts as well, and there are two others close by - one I've used before - who are also exotics vets on the aarv or whatever that list is.

Anyway, I have been mulling over some other questions that I don't feel needed a whole new thread. I tend to go on several trips to northern Wisconsin in the summer to stay at my parents cabin. These trips are roughly 4 hours each way and I stay for 4 or more days at a time. The other animals go into boarding if I'm gone more than just a weekend, but I don't feel safe leaving a sulcata with a boarder, even if it is my vet. My parents cabin is on 42 acres of grassland with lots of pines and other trees. It also can get very warm in summer. To me, this is a super tortoise vacation destination. Not only can a tort run about safely in a fenced area but I can keep an eye out just in case anything were to go wrong. Onto the questions:

1. Do ticks pose any threat to tortoises? There tends to be no shortage of those, biting flies and mosquitos.

2. Four hours is a long drive. If I could keep the transport carrier warm(at least 75) for the duration, would the stress to the tortoise be minimal? I know it's best to just leave it at home, but as I stated above, I'd be happier if I were keeping an eye on it.

3. We use a lot of insect repellent due to the mosquitos and stuff. I would be doing my very best to keep clean and not handle the tortoise before washing up/changing out of deet soaked clothing. How harmful would traces of bug repellent be?

There are a few vets, but none within an hour drive from the cabin that handle tortoises. It's fairly backwoods and the close towns are mostly tourist oriented.

Just for clarity, here is part of the front yard of my parents cabin. Lots and lots of wild grasses and clover.
17936406_0cf8c723e0_o.jpg

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I just wanted to say WELCOME! Glad to find someone else from chilly WI here! I'm from just outside Madison!

Status
Not open for further replies.