choking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

big_red_tortoise

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
I came home from class today and my RF was making a noise that sounded like a cough. I have been watching him and he keeps opening his mouth really wide but I cant see anything in his mouth. Does anyone know what is going on?

bluejen1313

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Is it kind of a clicking noise? My red foot does that sometimes. Jennifer

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
You just said something I wish more would "HEAR"!

Tortoises do all kinds of weird things and make all kinds of weird noises! Most of them are perfectly 'normal'.. and the rest of them will "WORK ITSELF OUT"

I can only encourage someone to provide the proper environment and feed them the right diet and let them be tortoises!

It's not necessary to haul them off to a totally clueless Vet.. everytime they fart.. [ and spend more at the Vet. than you paid for your tortoise ].. and too often suffer the consequences.

I'm almost convinced there is as much harm done at the Vet. as there is the first month or two of the tortoises life.. as a result of how they are kept and "started" by 'so-called' breeders! Not to mention the unbelievable caresheets.

Forgive my 'ranting' please.. it just makes me sad to read about all of the hurting tortoises and new owners that are trying their best to keep them alive.

Terry K

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
If it is trying to get something out of it's throat... there is something wrong. If it repeats this action on a regular basis you might consider getting it to a vet because the odds are that it has a respiratory problem.

What are the temperatures and conditions under which you are keeping the tortoise?

big_red_tortoise said:
I came home from class today and my RF was making a noise that sounded like a cough. I have been watching him and he keeps opening his mouth really wide but I cant see anything in his mouth. Does anyone know what is going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.