Chips in shell!!??

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
This is quite normal for Russian tortoises. They endure pretty bad treatment coming to us from their native land.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
@Yvonne G is right. in fact after getting my Nank I noticed his rear spinal scute is dented inward not out a little like the others, and I was told it was most likely from shipping and hitting something (horrifying to think of!) for things like that they heal on their own especially being sure ot get the areas wet during a soak, I used a tiny bit of vita-shell when he was new to me (many people have mixed feelings on this and I've read many times olive oil is the suggestion to go to) and rubbed tiny amounts into particularly dry/peeling areas that were most likely endured in shipping with lack of foods and water and after using it once a month for 2 months on the areas they were fine. but they don't hurt him without doing anything either. they're "battle scars" that tell his story <3

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
My russian has those too, because he us probably WC, but they aren't harmful or bad looking, it's just a part if who he is :D I feel bad knowng something terrible had to happen to give him those, but they'll heal over eventually.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
@Yvonne G is right. in fact after getting my Nank I noticed his rear spinal scute is dented inward not out a little like the others, and I was told it was most likely from shipping and hitting something (horrifying to think of!) for things like that they heal on their own especially being sure ot get the areas wet during a soak, I used a tiny bit of vita-shell when he was new to me (many people have mixed feelings on this and I've read many times olive oil is the suggestion to go to) and rubbed tiny amounts into particularly dry/peeling areas that were most likely endured in shipping with lack of foods and water and after using it once a month for 2 months on the areas they were fine. but they don't hurt him without doing anything either. they're "battle scars" that tell his story <3

Just a note that coconut oil is preferred over olive.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Whatever you use, just wipe off the excess :) !

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Just a note that coconut oil is preferred over olive.
oooh even better since I have coconut oil of my own! great for everything too: moisturizing yourself (and torts I guess!!) great for brittle nails (how did I not guess it was good for torts!) shaving gel, used with some baking soda and peroxide for really gross teeth days to get all that gook off that sometimes regular brushing just doesn't seem to help with. And in almost every DIY recipe for soaps lotions and chapsticks I've read!