Chinese Frog Eyed Gecko

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
That's great to hear! Were you able to help your sister get him set up correctly, then?

I hope he continues to do well for you guys! :)

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
Floof said:
That's great to hear! Were you able to help your sister get him set up correctly, then?

I hope he continues to do well for you guys! :)

I told her everything you guys said so I hope she will take my advice :)

pemry3

5 Year Member
For my geckos, created, and with my frogs for that matter I put the crickets in a container and put the animal in the container. This helps to prevent impaction, and is easier for them to catch the bug. This is important for juveniles because impaction is a big concern.

Once older you can transition them to eating in their tank.

Also you can add in wax worms, Phoenix worms and silk worms. In my opinion I would never feed geckos ext. meal worms. There is just to great of risk the animal doesn't kill the worm and they can eat their was out of the stomach.

I hope this helps.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
pemry3 said:
In my opinion I would never feed geckos ext. meal worms. There is just to great of risk the animal doesn't kill the worm and they can eat their was out of the stomach.

This is a myth. Some food for thought...
http://www.geckosunlimited.com/comm...rworms-mealworms-can-eat-through-stomach.html
http://www.herpfamily.com/showthread.php?t=7275
To summarize, between being chewed on and doused in stomach acid, a mealworm isn't going to live long enough to chew its way through a gecko's stomach.

I agree with refraining from feeding exclusively mealworms, but it's for an entirely different reason.

Simply put, mealworms are pretty awful, nutritionally speaking. They have a high chitin content, making them an impaction risk (or at least factor). They're high in phosphorous. They're fatty. Sure, people have had success raising some species of gecko exclusively on mealies... But I wouldn't call it ideal by any means. Even crickets are better, IMO, than mealworms, and I have a pretty low opinion of crickets.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
Well I got her to start spraying his terrarium once a day to raise the humidity and I caught him eating the sand so I got her to switch to coco coir! :D

turtleman26

5 Year Member
TortoiseBoy1999 said:
My older sister just got a Chinese Frog Eyed Gecko from the reptile show in Pamona on Saturday and she was wondering......How often should she feed him, Should she keep his heat pad (at the bottom of the tank) on during the day? Or at night, and does he need a water dish? Thanks!!!!! (BTW he eats crickets)
feed the twice a day 3 to 4 crickes

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
TortoiseBoy1999 said:
I got her to switch to coco coir today! :D She even got a nice little plant for him :)

He dug his very first burrow last night that ACTUALLY HELD :D I told her: "see! Don't you like the coco coir so much better for him???" and she said yes :)

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
That's great!! Glad to hear she's getting him set up correctly... Slowly but surely! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.