Chicory on steroids- Dirty Gardner

PA2019

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tucson, AZ
I try to grow enough weeds in my pens for my stars to not need supplemental feedings, which means I've tried a ton of different seeds and seed mixes. So far, without a doubt, the Chicory seeds from the "Dirty Gardner" has been incredible.

Once thrown in the pens I have sprouting overnight, and within a week its a jungle in there. I forgot to water the sprouts for a couple days and they still grew no problem. The seeds are non-GMO and are not inoculated as well. Best of all, the torts DEVOUR the leaves. A 5 lb bag will probably last you forever, unless you have 20 stars, or maybe 1 sulcata.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014N8W57U/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Here is a pic of the sprouting overnight (tossed seeds in at 6pm, took picture @ 8am next morning)

6xIlb+1ATmeViIvz+bqjWg.jpg

Here is a patch after 1 week. Some clover/testudo mix was growing there b/f but the majority is the chicory.

Ku+VREIwRMOwmMGxh%nzlg.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Chicory grows very well for me here too. Mine takes two or three days to sprout, but that is likely explained by our cold nights here. Even in summer with 100+ temps, our nights drop into the low 60s most of the time.

I also have to water several times a day in our hot dry climate when the seeds are first sprouting. Mine would certainly die if I didn't water for two days.