Chia sprouts?

Elohi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Are chia sprouts a possibility for grazing? They are extremely easy to sprout in small dishes and grow very quickly.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
They can eat them. You hear various opinions on how much they should be fed, but I think as long as it's a part of the well voiced "variety diet" we talk about there should be no issue with them.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
A member posted a picture of their tort killing a chia head a few days ago. I buy the seeds in bulk at the local grocery but haven't tried to grow them yet. They say raw so they should still be good? I think I'll try to sprout some tonight!

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
I am growing a flat now, planted it about 3 weeks ago. I will attach a picture later but it wasn't as fast growing as I thought it would be. Granted I'm growing them outside in the winter in a home made greenhouse (tin pan with lid) but the other flats of clover and grasses sprouted in days. My dandilion seeds even sprouted! Which I thought wasn't going to happen, but then froze to death last week. :(

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
My tortoise had no interest in eating his chia pet, but chia sprouts ARE safe to eat!
1390406131225.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I started a little dish if them 2 days ago. They are sprouting already.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1390406493.699849.jpg
I have since removed the greenhouse top. I'll post a picture later of their progress.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Elohi said:
I started a little dish if them 2 days ago. They are sprouting already.

I have since removed the greenhouse top. I'll post a picture later of their progress.

Have you tried to sprout the seeds you are having issues with like this? I forgot to put mine in the paper towel last night but tonight looks like it will be a planting experiment all over my apartment, lol!

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I tried the greenhouse method with my nasturtiums. I used moist soil and the seeds failed. All 6 :0/
I tried the wet paper towel in a baggy and that failed, I left them too long. I should have planted them when they swelled up but I left them, hoping for a sprout...never happened. So yesterday I scored the hull and soaked a single nasturtium seed and planted it this morning in moist soil. Fingers crossed that it works this time.

The chia on the other hand I just sprinkled a single layer of them in the Tera cotta dish, sprayed with water then set them down into a slightly larger dish with water in it so the Tera cotta would stay moist for the sprouts. Once they started sprouting I pulled the plastic greenhouse top off. They appear to be doing well.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
The only problem I have seen with chia is my torts don't like it . They will eat it when mixed with something . I have it planted in there outdoor enclosures and they will not eat it . It grows quickly and it's gets really tall . It's a good shade plant .

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
mike taylor said:
The only problem I have seen with chia is my torts don't like it . They will eat it when mixed with something . I have it planted in there outdoor enclosures and they will not eat it . It grows quickly and it's gets really tall . It's a good shade plant .

I guess if all else fails, it's a place for them to hide and nap lol.

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
photo (22).jpg
This is the Chia seeds after 3 weeks. Slow growers for me.

littlestella said:
This is the Chia seeds after 3 weeks. Slow growers for me.

All my pictures are posting sideways these days...

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
ImageUploadedByTortForum1390421085.134238.jpg
Sprouts after 2 days.