Chewbacca at 6 months (Pic HEavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Galaxy far, far away...
So Chewy has hit the six month mark. He/She is weighing in at 131 grams.

As you can see he is not perfectly smooth, but pretty darn close. Her humidity is kept between 75% and 90% at all times. Temps range from 105f in the basking area to 80f in her cool spot. She gets an average of 1-2 hours per day of sunshine, and uses an MVB when inside.

DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0016-2.jpg

DSC_0036.jpg

DSC_0040-1.jpg

DSC_0051.jpg

DSC_0053.jpg

DSC_0063-1.jpg

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
Mao Senpai said:
Looking good. How old is he again? If he's 6 months.. he's grown real fast!

Chewie hatched the week of April 4th. He/she was 21 grams when she hatched.

So that makes her 22 weeks. (So I guess 6 months is a slight exaggeration, :D ) She has gained 110 grams since she hatched for a total weight of 131 grams at 22 weeks.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I see a lot of Leopard youngsters, but Chewy has got to be one of the prettiest ones to me.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Chewy looks great. Parameters sound excellent. Are you guys doing the shell spraying thing? That and a closed chamber for an enclosure are the only things I know how to do that would be more than what you are doing. You have a humid hide too, right? Does he use it? I find that the individuals that like to be in the hide box a lot tend to grow more "perfectly" than the ones who avoid it. I try to train the non-hidebox users to use them more by putting them in there after lights out. Sometimes I have to put them in 2 or 3 times, before they will stay for the night.

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
We do have a humid hide. For months he was not using it. He liked to sleep under his half log. (I know lots of people don't like the half log, but so far he has never climbed on top of it.). We would put him in the hide and he would come out, over and over. Recently, Erin decided to place the half log in front of the opening to the humid hide, sort of like a tunnel leading towards the humid hide. Well, now he sleeps in there EVERY night. He walks through the half log and goes right into the humid hide. Then he burrows himself down into the substrate a bit. Within a minute he is sounds asleep for the night.

He does get sprayed three times per day and gets soaked daily m-f. (Weekends are hit and miss for soaking.)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That's funny. I just did that same thing with my half log and humid hide in my baby sulcata tub and got the same result. :)

He's darn near perfect and I'll bet the slight imperfection that you perceive is from sleeping out in the open. I would expect things to smooth out as the new growth continues with him using the hide box now. In my experience, the humid hide box usage really does make a difference.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Wow Rob what ever you are doing is working he looks great and getting big:)

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
Thanks. I cannot take any credit. All I do is build the enclosures and take the pictures.

All of the credit goes to:
Erin (CtTortoiseMom) for doing all of the hard work,
Tom, for getting him started right, giving us a framework to follow and for answering ALL of my many PMs
And the rest of the wonderful folks here at TFO for constantly providing great information, advice, pictures, friendship etc....

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Thank's for all the nice comment's I really feel like these pics make her look pyramided and she really isn't. I think her growth lines are making her look bumpy. Oh well, she is perfect in my eyes:).

Status
Not open for further replies.