Chersina Angulata

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
After many months of quarantine at my vets they finally arrived today to us.
Female is very active, male is a little shy. Hope these guys do well. Male is the darker one.
image.jpg image.jpg

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Never tired of looking at those beauties. The girl are really a looker.

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida
Those look great Kelly, only one pair? LOL

TXTortOwner

5 Year Member
I'm not dyslexic and I also read it as Christina Aguilera. Beautiful torts though :)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
So if I put the common name in parentheses will it read "Christina aguilera bow shooting"? Haha

Chersina Angulata(bowsprit tortoise) or Rooipens in Afrikaans.

mitchellr

5 Year Member
thas awesome. one of my most favorite species. is it hard to keep them? i heard that they need extremely hot enclosure and are very picky eaters.

Thanks!!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
thas awesome. one of my most favorite species. is it hard to keep them? i heard that they need extremely hot enclosure and are very picky eaters.

Thanks!!
Most of that is fairy tale to be honest. Since this species rarely ever comes into the US there's not too many of them here in collections. I know of a few that keep them and breed them. They actually don't need it scorching hot, or dry at all. These guys will eat anything, they have eaten every offered, mazuri, Marion, graze on the grass in the pen, they really love cactus blooms I have been putting there for them. Certainly hope that I am successful in keeping them and getting eggs and offspring. Super cool species for sure.

billskleins

5 Year Member
I believe I've read that they need a substantial day/night temperature drop. Is that correct Kelly?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yeah but not too much. The drop to rise and moisture elevation and decrease throughout the day has worked very well for them. Now were at mid to high 90s and low to mid 70s which gives a good drop. Mid day I simulate a "rain" heavy spray down. They come out and graze and eat at this point. So far they are doing very well. But yes stable temps are not suitable for this species and other species of South Africa or any arid environment.