Cherryhead triplets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edna

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Rawlins, Wyoming
Congratuations, that is totally amazing. I'll second Mark's request for weights on the little guys, after the yolk sac is gone. They must be just tiny!

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
awesome! simply awesome!!! speechless. Congrats and we're pulling for your 'trips' to survive. continues pictures always a bonus!

teri

Faery

5 Year Member
Alaska
While I don't know the specifics regarding tortoises I can try to address the questions about why their markings are not identical:
They should all have the same genetic make-up (inferred from yolk sharing), however how the cells migrate within the body can be independent from the genetics. Another possibility is differences in how the colors are 'activated' - I'll have to do more research on this to get a clear picture. I'm better with mammals... That said, you would find the same thing to be true if you cloned your cat or dog: The genes would all be the same, but the markings still wouldn't be the same. An example in humans would be identical twins' fingerprints. Fingerprints are always unique to an individual.

I could go into more detail on this but I don't want to bore everyone...!

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Okay, that's just too awesome. Seriously. Awesome.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Faery said:
While I don't know the specifics regarding tortoises I can try to address the questions about why their markings are not identical:
They should all have the same genetic make-up (inferred from yolk sharing), however how the cells migrate within the body can be independent from the genetics. Another possibility is differences in how the colors are 'activated' - I'll have to do more research on this to get a clear picture. I'm better with mammals... That said, you would find the same thing to be true if you cloned your cat or dog: The genes would all be the same, but the markings still wouldn't be the same. An example in humans would be identical twins' fingerprints. Fingerprints are always unique to an individual.

I could go into more detail on this but I don't want to bore everyone...!

Not boring at all. I find this very interesting. I did not know that clones would have different coloring. So these triplets are actually identical triplets.

pandacakes

5 Year Member
Oregon
Wow that's amazing! I can't wait to keep checking progress on these guys :)

Status
Not open for further replies.