Cherryhead triplets at one month

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Somewhere in Florida
Four weeks ago today we had a cherryhead red-foot egg that started to hatch. Two days later we discovered that the egg actually held triplets that were somehow all alive.
This is a brief update on their growth since they hatched.

The two larger siblings named Huey and Dewey are looking like, and acting like, typical month old red-foot hatchlings. They are aggressive eaters, are not shy and are growing fast. But since they started out being much smaller than normal red-foot hatchlings they are just now the size of a new hatchling--and a small one at that. Still, I have no doubt that they will eventually be very normal adults.
Several people (who know much more about the subject than I do) have told me that as the three neonates were all connected by the same yolk sac, they are genetically identical. They may have slight differences in their appearance, but from a genetic standpoint, they are identical. You can see from this photo that Huey and Dewey do look very much alike--more so than the other members of their clutch...

DSC08723.jpg

The smallest triplet (named Peanut) surprised us by continuing to live. Although he is developmentally behind his siblings, he has come a long way and now gives every impression that he will continue to thrive. The first couple of weeks Peanut seemed to have trouble walking normally but this may have in part been a result of him having a large yolk sac with its attached tissue on his belly. Still, there was something not quite right about him. However his gait has improved and Peanut can now ramble about fairly well-- although I hope his spindly little legs get stronger as he grows. I think that as he is just so small and somewhat 'preemie' he simply needs more time than a normal hatchling requires.

The foods we have offered Peanut have been soaked Mazuri tortoise chow, finely grated mushrooms, finely chopped romaine, baby lettuce, finely chopped hibiscus flower, some cooked sweet potato, very limited amounts of banana, blueberries and strawberries that have been mashed and then some soaked ZooMed 'Repti Sticks' for aquatic turtles. Some of these food items I don't really care for (Mazuri) but in this case I am just trying to get some size on the hatchling so that he can take in better foods later. Here are some images on Peanut eating that are undeniably cute...

DSC08664.jpg

DSC08688.jpg

A photo of the three taken at four weeks...

DSC08716.jpg

As you can see, Huey and Dewey have shed off their yolk sac membranes. Peanut is in the process of losing his now.

DSC08719.jpg

They look much than when they were first separated!

DSC08545.jpg

All three were weighed and measured today and here are their stats:

Huey--22.8 grams, 4.7 cm
Dewey--24.5 grams, 4.7 cm
Peanut--7.3 grams, 3.15 cm

Huey and Dewey weighed only 14 grams each when they were first separated so they have put on some good weight. Peanut was only 4 grams (how is that even possible?) at that time so his weight increase is very encouraging.

We plan on keeping the three for at least the next six months to monitor their growth and to of course, baby them.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Peanut is SO cute!!! His little head looks too big for his body!!!! Keep the updates & pics rollin' in.... PLEASE!!!! :D:D

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I love how smooth Peanut's shell looks, They are are looking awesome so far...

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I'm so glad if someone had to have triplets that it was you and your wife Carl. It looks like you've done an amazing job with all three of them. I can't believe Peanut. What a miracle baby that is. I loved seeing their updated pictures. :)

jbean7916

5 Year Member
OH little peanut!!!! He is the most adorable thing I've ever seen!!!

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
That's amazing! I didn't know that could happen.

Faery

5 Year Member
Alaska
I was anxiously hoping for an update on these little ones - I'm glad they're all doing so well! A true testament of your dedication and care!

oscar

10 Year Member!
Illinois
great pictures, you must really know what you are doing to keep the little guy going.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Absolutely amazing! Please keep up with updates, I know everyone here is eager to hear (and see) more, especially about Peanut!

LeoCraze

5 Year Member
Incredible story, thanks for keeping us posted. We have been mesmerized by these three amazing triplets.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Was waiting for an update. The markings on their head all seem identical. I wonder if Peanut will ever reach a normal size. Keep the updates coming.

Stephanie

5 Year Member
Southern California
They are all beautiful, and Peanut is a total trooper! I am in awe that he started at 4 grams! That's crazy!
Hope to see more updates soon! :)

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
Now I'm getting to see the pics full size (was on my phone before) and Peanut is crazyyy cool!! Hope he pulls through and is well!

froghaven5

5 Year Member
New Jersey
I'm so glad I checked in today to see an update on the triplets. Seems like great growth so far. Love Peanut!

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
OhMyGosh, my heart just melts when i see little peanut.
I just want to mother him.... he is just so darn cute!

They are all so cute. I am so glad they are all doing well and seem to be continuing to do so.

You are amazing for what you have done. Not many people would keep these 3 alive, i would imagine.

Keep the updates and pictures coming please :D This is truly amazing to see and hopefully it'll help anyone else should this amazing thing every happen again.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Thanks for keeping us updated. These are amazing babies. I would say their weight gain is good, considering where they started from. Peanut is surely the star!

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Wow, I agree. This is amazing. Thanks for keeping us updated. I love that picture of all three. Just shows how determined they are to survive.

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
Are these three permanent members of your family?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I am just continued being totally amazed and mesmerized by them and their story. I am intrigued by all the possibilities.

wellingtoncdm said:
Are these three permanent members of your family?

LOL if not, he could no doubt have a bidding war for them. I think we are all attached to them and filled with wonder about what their future will hold.

Status
Not open for further replies.