Cherryhead triplets---8 weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Somewhere in Florida
Hard to believe but the three cherryhead neonates that emerged from a single egg are now eight weeks old.
The two larger siblings named Huey and Dewey have grown quite a bit and are now typical hatchlings...

DSC08974.jpg

They look very similar to each other and have the same head pattern, although there is some minor variation between them...

DSC08975.jpg

Even their shells are similar in detail...

DSC08978.jpg

Huey has this odd, 'Harry Potter' type streak on his forehead...

DSC08973.jpg

The growth has been pretty uniform but now that they are well past the point where I worried about them I will cut back on their food intake...

DSC08972.jpg

Peanut, the smallest of the three has grown a lot since I last posted photos of him. Compare this photo of him next to a quarter taken today...

DSC08943.jpg

...to this one I posted a few weeks ago...

DSC08671.jpg

You can see that he is visibly larger. Peanut is now up to a whopping 9.8 grams too. What a pig!

DSC08942.jpg

Here are all three together...

DSC08967.jpg

DSC08969.jpg

DSC08957.jpg

Just eight weeks ago they started out like this...

DSC08525.jpg

The only real issue has been feeding Peanut. Due to his tiny mouth everything we fed him the first few weeks had to be finely grated so that he could manage it. This included baby lettuce, mushrooms, small portions of fruit and so on. Starting two weeks ago all three have been fed small amounts of plain cooked chicken breast too-- but this has been in very limited amounts.
Now, even Peanut seems to be able to tear up his food although it is still chopped or grated to fit his size. But he has always been game to go for the big chunks as you can see from this photo from last month...

DSC08685.jpg

We are hoping that even Peanut will one day fill up the palm of my hand...

DSC08948.jpg

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Awwwwwww, that is the best update ever!! They have a big fan club!! You have done a marvelous job!!!! They are all beautiful!!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
This story has been nothing short of miraculous since day one. How can anybody not love all of them, but especially Peanut. Just so awesome and we do feel grateful for you keeping us so well informed via pictures, that we are almost feeling like we are a part of this story. Thank you!

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Thanks.Carl. We've been wondering how they were doing.

ewam

5 Year Member
Southern Ca.
That is really great. I can't believe how much peanut has grown and changed in just a few weeks.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
They all look great! Peanut is amazing. Great job, without you the three of them might not have made it!

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
This is such a happy story, I share it with my whole family! Thanks so much for the updates!!! :) I can't wait to show my wife the new pictures, she will be very happy as well! Good luck in the future and great job!!

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
They are beautiful.

I am so glad that all three are doing great. Peanut is so cute.

Carol :D

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I gasped when I came on here and starting looking at the new threads and saw this one. I love your updates on these three little miracles. What beauties they are turning into. I am amazed at how much they have grown, especially Peanut. It would be very easy to over spoil him that's for sure. ;)

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Just too awesome. Great job taking care of them.

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
I love hearing updates on the triplets! I'm glad to hear they're doing well. Little Peanut won't be so little anymore :p

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Carl , simply amazing.....honest its the first time seeing triplet torts for me not only being hatched but surviving this far along. A job well done sir , and those lil guys are sure darn lucky it happened in your hands. Has that parents ever had multi embryos’ before?

JD~

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
So cool! You should write this up for a herp magazine!

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Carl, I am so happy to see how well they are all doing. My husband was just asking me a couple of days ago if there had been any updates on the triplets. Will be anxious to share the news. You have done a great job with all of them, especially Peanut!!

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
Thanks for the update! It's always so good to hear about them. I just had to hold my hand up to see how big Peanut is, and it's hard to believe he's alive at THAT size never mind the much smaller size he started out at.

I absolutely love the picture of the three of them together, almost holding hands. It seems to show real solidarity and the bond they share.

Status
Not open for further replies.