Cherryhead Triplet Update...three months

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Somewhere in Florida
Well, the cherryhead triplets that hatched in September have now passed the three month mark without any incident. There isn't a whole lot to share except that they are eating and growing.
The two larger siblings, Huey and Dewey, continue to grow normally but I have cut back their food intake since they are well passed the point where they were runt hatchlings.
For some reason I always seem to break out the camera when I feed them so you will have to put up with messy faces...

DSC09113.jpg

Here are Huey and Dewey feeding on a mixture of boiled sweet potato, chopped romaine, a bit of red cabbage and a tiny bit of chicken breast. I no longer feed them things like this very often but I had made this stuff up for their smaller brother Peanut and I had a lot left over. Huey (left) has a single dash on his frontal scute...

DSC09204.jpg

All three getting a soak in the kitchen sink today...

DSC09196.jpg

Peanut is still just a little dinker but he eats a lot so he is growing well...

DSC09200.jpg

In fact, Peanut recently reached the milestone of surpassing the weight Huey and Dewey were when they hatched, which was 14 grams each...

DSC09192.jpg

Wow, up to 17.5 grams from a start of only 4 grams in three months! He is starting to get a slightly more 'mature' look to him...

DSC09194.jpg

Momma was out in the yard today so I took Peanut out to get a look at her. Frankly, she seemed quite frightened of him and wanted no part of it...

DSC09232.jpg

She did glare at him for a few moments though--maybe contemplating gulping him down?...

DSC09239.jpg

Actually, she bobbed her head at Peanut and seemed to recognize that he was another tortoise so I doubt she would have eaten him, not that I would have given her the chance. But I think she found Peanut to be somewhat creepy and just wanted to walk away.

That's all for now.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Poor Tam! Scaredy cat. Love that last picture though.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Good to see all 3 ( especially peanut) doing so well.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
OMG I was just looking for a triplet update yesterday!! Glad to see them all doing well. Momma staring at little Peanut is priceless!

Weldd

10 Year Member!
Amazing pictures of a true success story. Thanks for posting them...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I just love that little guy. And the mom/baby picture is even more interesting, in my opinion, than the ones we always see of the adult sulcata with a baby sulcata.

I'm so happy all three of them made it.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I was thinking this morning, that I hoped we would soon be getting an update. Such an uplifting and wonderful story. Glad you have shared each step along the way with us.

pk2610

5 Year Member
Great pictures and heartwarming update. Looking forwarding to more news from the triplet. Thanks for sharing.

theresal

5 Year Member
Terrytown,LA
This was awesome to read!! I am glad they are all doing well and thanks for posting the pics too!

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I still can't believe you got 3 tortoises out of one egg! Their head pattern is so unique, I love it. Glad to see everything is going well for these 3 underdogs.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I'm so happy you are keeping us all up to date on these 3 cute torts! I am glad they are all doing great. Please keep updating if you don't mind. Great pics too! :)

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I am so glad they are doing well!!!

tweeter

5 Year Member
NC
Wow, this just continues to amaze me. You must be so proud of them......especially Peanut :) He looks so tiny compared to mom. Just love these updates.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I am so glad to see them looking so healthy and happy Carl. Good job. Peanut sure has big eyes. :D Yeah I though mom looked at him a little funny also. You've got to wonder what they are thinking though. :p Huey and Duey look very nice too. I know that we mostly always comment on Peanut because of course he's the smallest. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.