Cherryhead doesn't eat or poop

Tortisedonk7

Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
@Tortisedonk7 Where did your little ones come from? Any idea if they were imported from the U.S. or somewhere else?

I’m in Indonesia and as most things here there isn’t much information. So I don’t really know about where they came from. I do know the person we bought them from is not the breeder/hatchery. We did a lot of searching to find some one that seemed reputable for cherry heads, And to find cherry heads we could choose our self. Most sellers here don’t have them but offer to ship them from somewhere else after you pay sight unseen.
sulcatas are the tort of choice here. But I really wanted cherryheads/Redfoot because the climate here is really similar to their native habitat. I was sure sulcatas would have respiratory issues here because it’s so humid and really rainy sometimes.

Anyway, after the soak we applied betadine to her skin things. The big one on her neck rubbed off with a cotton bud. underneath looks like new/fresh skin that’s a little red.
Honestly...I don’t have much hope at this point. Everyday now is a little worse. But we will keep doing everything we can. Thank you everyone!

Zoeclare

Uk
I’m in Indonesia and as most things here there isn’t much information. So I don’t really know about where they came from. I do know the person we bought them from is not the breeder/hatchery. We did a lot of searching to find some one that seemed reputable for cherry heads, And to find cherry heads we could choose our self. Most sellers here don’t have them but offer to ship them from somewhere else after you pay sight unseen.
sulcatas are the tort of choice here. But I really wanted cherryheads/Redfoot because the climate here is really similar to their native habitat. I was sure sulcatas would have respiratory issues here because it’s so humid and really rainy sometimes.

Anyway, after the soak we applied betadine to her skin things. The big one on her neck rubbed off with a cotton bud. underneath looks like new/fresh skin that’s a little red.
Honestly...I don’t have much hope at this point. Everyday now is a little worse. But we will keep doing everything we can. Thank you everyone!
Fingers crossed for your little one?

Rijal

Jakarta, Indonesia
@Tortisedonk7 Where did your little ones come from? Any idea if they were imported from the U.S. or somewhere else?
I highly doubt his cherry head is imported from the US. Most of the cherry heads here in Indonesia are either coming from breeder (small qty) or imported from South America. However, I know a big seller who just imported a bunch of sulcata hatchling from the US in July and I am also curious since there was also a "yellow bump" case here.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I highly doubt his cherry head is imported from the US. Most of the cherry heads here in Indonesia are either coming from breeder (small qty) or imported from South America. However, I know a big seller who just imported a bunch of sulcata hatchling from the US in July and I am also curious since there was also a "yellow bump" case here.
That's why I asked about imports from the U.S.
Any chance you happen to know where in the U.S. the shipment of sulcata hatchlings came from?
@Tom and I have been wondering about that one... ?

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Depending on whether any of those sulcatas were ever housed with other species... Well... ?

AgataP

Seattle, WA
I think there is a chance that all the handling of the tortoise might actually cause stress and no willingness to eat or to go potty.
I left my baby sulcata in a warm water in the sun for 20 min (yes I was next to him, drinking my coffee taking pictures of him) and didn’t bother him, the amount of poop that came out of this little dude was impressive. So maybe would be best to soak him provide fresh greens and let him rest for a day.
I have read that tortoise should actually “store” his food for about 72h .... not sure how accurate all that is, I am not an expert (yet ??).
Hope he feels better soon.

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
imo this looks like a possible skin fungus but its really impossible to tell without a culture to know for sure. and YES be very careful with any imported sulcata at the moment. i have seen 4 more cases this past week alone

Sa Ga

MN
It is possible that the other one is dominate. But they share the hide together at night. And some times during the day. And I never see any type of aggression between them.
Next week I will separate them to see if that works.
Mostly I just think the one that not eating is more active, seems she is always looking for something when walking around.
Likely she is being bullied. Separate them now, the sooner, the better. When she's walking around, she may very well be looking for somewhere to hide. The stress of feeling unsafe is making her not eat.

Sa Ga

MN
Ugh, I just saw this. I'm so sorry

Stress can cause unbelievable harm, and if your other conditions were right (temp, humidity, diet, etc.) it could have been the moving from a group of litter mates to now just the pair which again, can cause bullying. Which causes stres. Which eventually weakens them to secondary illness, and death.

Do check out the threads here on cohabiting torts together (even trios+, if too small a space). Also, on safe substrates, in case somehow the moss did cause illness/injury. (I made that mistake myself, but luckily found out and removed it bf Morla ate any of it!). Also, @Tom , can u give this member your info on hatchling failure syndrome and tips on raising hatchlings? Tom raises and keeps many reptiles and is very knowledgable.

Tortisedonk7

Indonesia
Thank you for the kind words.
It’s been a sad day here. ?

I’m pretty sure it was ‘Breeder failure syndrome’ that caused her body to shut down and become susceptible to other infections. because even after the separation (2+weeks ago) she still wouldn’t eat or drink and still roamed the enclosure like before.
Anyway, I’m really scared of the other heathy tort getting whatever the skin infection was so just sanitizing what I can.

What I don’t know is what to do about the outdoor enclosure she was using during the day. I want the other tort to be able to use use it but I’m afraid that fungi/bacteria what ever it is, is still hanging around in there.
removing/replacing the grass, soil and gravel is extreme but is an option.
Any ideas???

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Hopefully your other redfoot hatchling is and will be more resistant to opportunistic infections. Support your hatchling's overall health as best you can. If there's an underlying condition, time will probably tell.

Do you have a gram scale? It may help to weigh and record your hatchling's weight on a regular basis so you can monitor how much your baby is growing. If you post those weights here on the forum, other redfoot keepers may be able to give you better feedback about the growth rate.

I don't know what to tell you about the outdoor enclosure. Direct sunlight, especially during the warmest parts of the year, can help break down a number of pathogens. Dry conditions are usually inhospitable to fungi. Different bacteria like different conditions, so it just depends.

AgataP

Seattle, WA
❤❤️❤️❤️ so sorry to see your tortoise is gone. Big hugs.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Sorry for your loss, you did everything you could.