CHERRY -RF ENCLOSURE NEW NEST BOX

Status
Not open for further replies.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
So this holiday weekend the project before winter was to provide a warm “ nesting area” for the Hypo’s. Since the RF’s and Cherries are kept separate thru out the “ Hut” and into the yard, they didn’t have a big of enough spot inside ( like the cherries do ) for a nesting place
( in case of those chilly winter nights). All of my Cherry females have laid one time or another in the “ actual nest box” within the hut ( fall and winter) so with weather starting to cool at nights I came up with this idea. Its actually a large Rubbermaid Bench Deck Box…. Dual wall constructed ( very sturdy ) and I chose this as I’ll explain later. The idea was to provide another 12Sf ( or so ) of
“ quite” floor space and still maintain connected to the main hut. Also having 15” or so of digging medium…..and deeper in some areas.
Well here is the results … the reason and benefit of the dual wall constructed box .. is I was able to drill small holes in the top/bottom and *squirt* the insulating foam from a can . Also without having to make another door and loosing more heat , I connected the box via a tunnel system . Using plastic/resin pot I cut down to act like the tunnel. The really neat thing is a flip top lid with full access for viewing, and digging up eggs with ease. A low voltage heat source makes sure it keeps it consistent with the main hut. The main hut itself is divided into two sections for the Rf’s and the Cherries,,, with mutli- shelving and tort tables on the walls for hatchlings or juveniles . There is around 54SF of floor space and part of that includes a heated “hide” with flip top lid for easy access.
TC12e.jpg
TC12a.jpg
TC12j.jpg
TC12hole.jpg
TC12holb.jpg
TC12hola.jpg
TC12hol8.jpg
TC12hol7.jpg
TC12Hol3.jpg
TC12Hol4.jpg
TC12hol6.jpg
TC12h.jpg
TC12torts.jpg

JD~:)
...I'll probably end up airbrushing it tomorrow to match the rest of the plant decor ~....

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Northwest FL
That looks really good JD! I use something similar to yours except its inside not outside. I have always had trouble with males and other females using it as just a regular hide, and that annoys me. Have you experienced this yet?

Very nice project!

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
jrcrist4 said:
That looks really good JD! I use something similar to yours except its inside not outside. I have always had trouble with males and other females using it as just a regular hide, and that annoys me. Have you experienced this yet?

Very nice project!

Well John it's to new to tell although two of them were sleeping in it this am :p
On the cherry side of the " hut" there is an inside nest box which was used a few times with different females. Although kept outside and they usally hunt for a spot outside to nest I wanted to provide a
"warm area"and didnt have the floor space within the hut on the redfoot side. My herd lays year round even in Dec. which has been chilly the last few years. The other concern was providing a deep enough medium for her to dig in, as the substrate in the hut is no where near 15" deep thru out ... ( just in the nest box for the cherries ... which is about 15" ) Plus I guess I'm trying to encourage my two Hypo Momma's to lay ...... as I know they are both gravid now! ~ :p

Maybe I should have made a nail salon instead ? :D

JD~

PS: your new babies are incredible !!!!!!!!...... give me a buzz before you list them ~

Status
Not open for further replies.