Cherry head or red foot? Help !

Boneless

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I went and picked up my hatchling red foot yesterday, but the breeder told me he was a cherry head and now I'm confused.

How can I tell the difference between a baby red foot and a baby cherry head? Is there a big difference in their care?

Zoeclare

Uk
Can you get a picture of the plastron too

Boneless

Florida
Looks red foot to me very pretty
Redfoot, and still very young. Where did you get this tort?

Oh thank goodness lol. I spent all my time researching a Red foot and was worried!

Yes he was Hatched 07/29. I got him from a breeder in Tampa named John, he doesn't advertise online or anything, I met him through a tortoise group on Facebook - his friend recommended me to him. Is he too young? He said since he was eating fine he was ready to go. :(

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Oh thank goodness lol. I spent all my time researching a Red foot and was worried!

Yes he was Hatched 07/29. I got him from a breeder in Tampa named John, he doesn't advertise online or anything, I met him through a tortoise group on Facebook - his friend recommended me to him. Is he too young? He said since he was eating fine he was ready to go. :(
He's still got remnants of his yolk sac. Most breeders hold onto them at least a month to make sure they're gaining weight and doing well. In a way it's a good thing because you know this baby wasn't kept dry for an extended period of time.

Zoeclare

Uk
He still has the yolk scar, normally that would be healed, toddrickfl1 is more experienced than me

Boneless

Florida
He's still got remnants of his yolk sac. Most breeders hold onto them at least a month to make sure they're gaining weight and doing well. In a way it's a good thing because you know this baby wasn't kept dry for an extended period of time.
I see! I was worried when he called me and told me they were ready. I'll be keeping an eye on his weight and everything. And yes I was told he was being soaked everyday and to keep soaking him daily. John gave me a lot of good info about feeding and stuff. :)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Congratulations on your new friend.
You didn't need to worry since a RF and a CH Redfoot are kept pretty much identically.
This little one has nice areas of color.
But the blunt nose is all Northern Redfoot.

Last edited: