**** Cheney's new heart

Status
Not open for further replies.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, arizona
Lots of vitriol spread here on the pages. Really sorry to see that. And Terry ~ I didn't say a liberal should have received the donor heart... someone with more of a life-span in front of them: with something more to offer in their life. Have children? See their grandchildren born? get married maybe? I didn't make my post political.... those that followed did. Mr Cheney is 71 years old. By most standards he has lived a full life. Someone on the list in their teens (such as my co-workers son) could have lived a longer life. He had a girlfriend and had hopes of marriage. He didn't make it.

Try not to make everything Repub v Democrat. Everything isn't black and white. Lots of shades of grey in between.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
sharkstar said:
. Someone on the list in their teens (such as my co-workers son) could have lived a longer life. He had a girlfriend and had hopes of marriage. He didn't make it.

My heart goes out to your co-worker over their tragic loss. However, I would be willing to be my home on the fact that the heart the "old guy" got would not have been compatible with the "young man". Would you have rather this heart not be used or have been used as it was in Cheney, because your co-worker's son could not have used it? It is the loss of people, like the co-workers son, that makes me sick every time somebody dies and their families do not donate. If you want to be angry, be angry that more folks do not donate. Then take that anger and make folks aware of the need for donations. It is wrong in my opinion to be angry at somebody just because they were one of the lucky ones and did get a heart.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Jacqui said:
My heart goes out to your co-worker over their tragic loss. However, I would be willing to be my home on the fact that the heart the "old guy" got would not have been compatible with the "young man". Would you have rather this heart not be used or have been used as it was in Cheney, because your co-worker's son could not have used it? It is the loss of people, like the co-workers son, that makes me sick every time somebody dies and their families do not donate. If you want to be angry, be angry that more folks do not donate. Then take that anger and make folks aware of the need for donations. It is wrong in my opinion to be angry at somebody just because they were one of the lucky ones and did get a heart.

10 points to Gryffind....I mean Jacqui.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
Jacqui said:
sharkstar said:
. Someone on the list in their teens (such as my co-workers son) could have lived a longer life. He had a girlfriend and had hopes of marriage. He didn't make it.

I have my Donor status on all my paperwork, as well as bone marrow for transplant. How many here can say the same? And as a health care worker I've seen too many 'possibilities' denied because the family cannot come to grips with the fact that the patient (mom,dad,son,daughter - whomever) isn't going to make it, or bear the fact that the body has salvageable parts and needs to be ripped apart so someone else may survive.

I didn't say I was angry.....................
just would have preferred the heart go to someone younger. Apparently it was Cheney's to have.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
OT but since it was mentioned here.. i think it would be EXTREMELY helpful if the posters name is somewhere in thier post.. in the Signature or signed.. there are so many people here now, its hard to keep track. Mods can, but general users, its a bit harder...
Hint Hint.,,,

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
sharkstar said:
I have my Donor status on all my paperwork, as well as bone marrow for transplant. How many here can say the same?

I didn't say I was angry.....................
just would have preferred the heart go to someone younger. Apparently it was Cheney's to have.

*raises hand into the air* I have donor status on my card, as do my children. Plus we all know how each other feels about donation. ;) Also I offered my Mother's body up for donation when she died.

As for me, I too would have voted for somebody young, but in all fairness just because somebody is young does not mean they would end up living longer or give more back to their family, friends, community, whatever in that time, then would an older person. As I understand it, no names are given, they are just numbers and are given ratings based on many things. When a heart becomes available all donors who match and are within the viable time area are then asked with the highest pointed person having first dibs. It's a very complex system done to make sure nobody gets an organ because they are famous, rich, or anything other then deserving according to the point system.

As a side note, my daughter-in-law has a brother who has been on a waiting list much longer then Cheney. ;) Good news is my sister-in-law's brother-in-law ( :D ) just recently got his long awaited donor kidney. Getting a donation is all just a gamble. Some get them, some don't in time. We can all help with the odds by making the choice and making sure family knows of our own personal choice to donate.

By the way... Thank you for being a donor! :)

sharkstar said:
Jacqui said:
Neal said:
10 points to Gryffind

Refresh my memory, but aren't those the bad guys???

Slytherin would be the bad guys...

That's right! Thanks!! :D

Laura said:
OT but since it was mentioned here.. i think it would be EXTREMELY helpful if the posters name is somewhere in thier post.. in the Signature or signed.. there are so many people here now, its hard to keep track. Mods can, but general users, its a bit harder...
Hint Hint.,,,

The Mods have no more magical ability to know names, then any other member. ;)

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
exoticsdr said:
Jacqui said:
dmmj said:
Jacqui said:
Wow! I have to say I am a bit shocked at the feelings coming out on this one. As long as no strings are pulled, then I really don't have a problem with him getting it. I have more of a problem with all the good possible body parts NOT being used to either save or improve the quality of somebody's life.
But I need my body parts.

Sorry David, I must have missed the thread announcing your death.

Totally agree with you Jacqui, if there is ANYTHING left of me that is worth a nickel when I die, I hope they can use it on someone else with my compliments.
Yep,Todd,I think John Prine said it best. "I'd rather have em cut me up and pass me all around"

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Laura said:
Hint Hint.,,,

I've asked for this many times, Laura...it falls on deaf ears. That's why I started asking new member what their names are and where they live. I don't like doing that as it sounds mean or mandatory, but it really helps me give answers when I know who I'm talking to and where they are.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Laura said:

If members would please let us know their names and where they are without having to be prompted.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I was under the impression that Shelly wanted to remain ambiguous. I looked at his profile and sex was left blank. Now I have to change the picture in my head. Shelly/ John would you mind posting a picture? My picture of you is a thin 50 year old lady with long straight hair.

Now to get back on/topic. I am afraid to fill out the doner card because I don't want them to take anything too soon.
When my Dad died I knew there was nothing to donate and they still called me a couple time to ask for parts. I thought that was rude. I

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Laura said:
emysemys said:
Laura said:

If members would please let us know their names and where they are without having to be prompted.

that was supposed to be funny.. falls on Deaf ears...
What?
A failed attempt! HA
Hold on, let me use my moderator powers.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Angi said:
Now to get back on/topic. I am afraid to fill out the doner card because I don't want them to take anything too soon.

This would be a concern of mine as well.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
Angi said:
I was under the impression that Shelly wanted to remain ambiguous. I looked at his profile and sex was left blank. Now I have to change the picture in my head. Shelly/ John would you mind posting a picture? My picture of you is a thin 50 year old lady with long straight hair.

When my Dad died I knew there was nothing to donate and they still called me a couple time to ask for parts. I thought that was rude. I

Even though there is nothing 'usable' when a patient dies, it is required that donor network is contacted by the hospital. Not all families are contacted by Donor Network, I'll have to research the criteria when I go to work tomorrow night, if you're interested.

If you're afraid of them "taking something too soon" I would suggest you watch too many SciFi movies..

I'm sorry for the loss of your father.

teri

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
also.. if you dont want the plug pulled too soon.. then be sure you have a living will written up and people know what you want..

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
LuvmyGreenSon said:
Speaking of that how would I go about changing my user name?

You need to contact Josh asking for what you want it changed to.

jaizei said:
Angi said:

This would be a concern of mine as well.

It is a concern for many folks, but it's really not a valid concern. There are rules and mandates in place to protect you from that happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.