Carolyn&Littlefoot

Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
Hey all! I recently became a Russian tortoise mom (about 1 1/2 months ago). When he (Littlefoot) first arrived, he didn’t eat for like almost two weeks. Then he started eating a lot of greens each day. Recently in the last couple days he started being pickier and eating very little compared to what he used to and subsequently is not pooping that much. Other than this, he seems very healthy and I don’t think he has any symptoms of a respiratory disease. Here’s a couple pictures of him from today if that helps. I’m not sure if I’m over reacting to his change because he is still eating a little each day, but I figured it couldn’t hurt to ask some other tortoise owners.image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
It's that time of the year when the season is starting to change and your tort would be slowing down if outside. Your tort is probably just sensing that.

Carolyn&Littlefoot

New Jersey
What if my Tortoise is indoors? We have a hawk nesting and some fledglings nearby and I’ve never felt comfortable setting him up an outdoor enclose. Does this mean he is going to still try to hibernate even though he will stay indoors? If he is going to hibernate, are there changes I should make to his enclosure in terms of light and heat?

Carolyn&Littlefoot

New Jersey
What if my Tortoise is indoors? We have a hawk nesting and some fledglings nearby and I’ve never felt comfortable setting him up an outdoor enclose. Does this mean he is going to still try to hibernate even though he will stay indoors? If he is going to hibernate, are there changes I should make to his enclosure in terms

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
What if my Tortoise is indoors? We have a hawk nesting and some fledglings nearby and I’ve never felt comfortable setting him up an outdoor enclose. Does this mean he is going to still try to hibernate even though he will stay indoors? If he is going to hibernate, are there changes I should make to his enclosure in terms of light and heat?
He isn't going to hibernate indoors. Might just slow down a little like your seeing. Continue doing everything like your would normally