CHECK YOUR WATTAGE!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katherine

5 Year Member
Just a cautionary reminder to anyone with a new set up or purchasing a new bulb; ALWAYS check the wattage on your casing and your bulb to make sure they are appropriately matched. Having a bulb which is too powerful for the housing it is in can be a fatal mistake.

I received this from someone who adopted a hatchling from me and had the correct bulb in an improper housing; she was incredibly fortunate that the tortoise was okay and that she was home so was able to intercept the fire before losing her house and pets.

We can not be too careful when it comes to heating elements; know your bulbs and your appliances and use them only as appropriate! I know most forum members are well versed in this but thought it was worth sharing if it helps even one person to correct a problem before it becomes one. Scary stuff.

image-2482131156.png

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Once you know no human or animal were hurt in the making of that picture, that's really an incredible picture. Just amazing what can happen.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ditto on Jacqui's post. Also thank you for the reminder. It is always a good thing to remind people of things like this. Some times we get to comfortable and don't pay as much to details as we once did. Always good to be sent back a few steps for safety. So glad every thing turned out okay.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
OK, for newbies and everyone else not familiar with Wattage-vs-Enclosures....

What Wattage should be with what enclosures? If I have a 40 gal breeder tank, what size lamp should I use? Can any one give a coplete break down for size of enclosure-vs-Wattage?

...all heating appliances SHOULD be plugged into a regulator!

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Zamric said:
OK, for newbies and everyone else not familiar with Wattage-vs-Enclosures....

What Wattage should be with what enclosures? If I have a 40 gal breeder tank, what size lamp should I use? Can any one give a coplete break down for size of enclosure-vs-Wattage?

...all heating appliances SHOULD be plugged into a regulator!

I read it as checking the rating on the socket the lamp is in, i.e. use a ceramic socket and not a plastic one.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
OK. I can see that!

.... but still, you wouldn't put a 150 watt bulb into a 10 gal tank. So my statment still stands. Is there a break down of wattage-vs-tank size?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Zamric said:
OK. I can see that!

.... but still, you wouldn't put a 150 watt bulb into a 10 gal tank. So my statment still stands. Is there a break down of wattage-vs-tank size?

I think it would be futile to try and make a chart like that. Too many variables. Really all we can do is recommend using a thermostat on CHEs and checking the temp under MVBs regularly.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
I believe there is an equation based on the ambient temp and the wattage need to raise the temp of a certain dimension enclosure to desired temp..

But it doesn't take to account drafts or Fluctuations in ambient air temp..

EKLC

5 Year Member
Your room temperature plays a big role in what wattage you need.

Also, if you have an enclosed tank, you need much less. A 75 watt bulb gets my 180 gallon enclosure nice and toasty

Status
Not open for further replies.