Cheap temp outdoor enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottishscott

5 Year Member
20130410 1.jpg20130410 2.jpgHey folks,finally came up with a cheap solution for Rhino's outdoor enclosure. I went to Lowe's and bought 3 of their $.99 fence pickets and 2 of their $.99 stair ballisters. Cut one picket in half and cut both the ballisters in half. A few nails and wha lah. Decorated a little and he loves it. It won't last him forever,but at his size it's perfect. If we need to run indoors for anything he is confined so we can find him. He disappears in the grass if you don't keep your eye on him. I'm posting some pics.

Last edited by a moderator:

Momof4

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego
Looks great! Make sure to never leave him out because birds will swoop down real quick as you run in. It happens that fast. But it's a great start.
You could also add a terra-cotta plant saucer for him. Sink it below the surface so it's easy to get in and out of.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, he should have a water dish. As for the birds, your normal back yard cutsy birds shouldn't be a problem, but the larger, more predator/scanvenger ones could be, if you have them in your area. Chicken wire or hardware fabric will work for a cheap, quick cover.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Good for you! Nice way to show how you can get your tortoise out, even for an hour per day.

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
I like it!! By next summer he will be able to bowl down the walls but this is good for this summer!!

scottishscott

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Cheap temp outdoor enclosure.

Eloise said:
I like it!! By next summer he will be able to bowl down the walls but this is good for this summer!!

Exactly, in covering it tomorrow with chicken wire. The good thing is, I can move it really easy to adjust for sun, shade, and grasses. After he outgrows It I can reclaim all the wood and build blue bird boxes.

Eduvignau

5 Year Member
Mexico City
I did the same stuff in my backyard, very useful when it's small. By the way you have a very pretty tortoise!

scottishscott

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Cheap temp outdoor enclosure.

LeopardTortLover said:
He's SUCH a little cutie!! Great idea too.

Thank you

Eduvignau said:
I did the same stuff in my backyard, very useful when it's small. By the way you have a very pretty tortoise!

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.