Cheap, Easy, Simple Sunning Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
ChiKat said:
If I were to use this type of enclosure for Nelson this summer I would want to leave it outside on my second story deck at all times. Do you have any suggestions of what I could do when it rains, so that it doesn't flood? Cover it with a tarp?

Drill holes in the bottom, as drains...

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
Ok, so i wanted my own and i went to walmart and home depot and the nursery i like and of course the 99 cent store

They dont spray anything.. so i use them all the time...

poolpics010.jpg

poolpics.jpg

poolpics011.jpg

The net is called a bird net, it goes over fruit trees so birds dont eat the fruit.

10.00 for a gigantic roll.
10.00 pool
20.00 on plants
3.00 on hides
3.00 on top soil

i also dropped in a few seeds..

home patio foot stool.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I love it!

I don't want to rain on your parade, but I have to say two things. One, even though the 99 cent store doesn't spray anything on the plants, whoever they get them from probably does. Two, I just want to make sure you know that the bird netting will only keep out birds. Little birds. I say this to you based on experience. Bad experience that I would rather you not share.

But, it looks great and I'm thrilled for you and your little tortoises.

Did you get poked? Are you coming for me?

M

Maggie Cummings

I love this catalog and seriously look forward to getting it like a kid on Christmas Eve. I have bought so much of their stuff my garden looks like a cheezy catalog...and I also have the 4 solar turtles advertised on that same page. They light up along my garden edge and are bright at night guiding my way when I think I have forgotten to lock up Bob's shed or turn out a light...:cool:

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
Well they wont be outside at night, and I live in the city so i am not sure what i will be keeping out..

Do you think a double layer or triple would help?

Also the flowers are not from the 99cent store, but a private small nursery

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
terracolson said:
Well they wont be outside at night, and I live in the city so i am not sure what i will be keeping out..

Do you think a double layer or triple would help?

Also the flowers are not from the 99cent store, but a private small nursery

If they are only going to be out there for a while and you are going to be around, you probably don't need anything. Especially if this is in a closed yard. Do you have predators around? A dog or raccoon can just push through bird netting. If you really have the need to keep predators out, you'll need some hardware cloth or welded wire on a wooden frame.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
They are inside of another fence and beside my back door... and only outside when i am home and the back door is open to see them.
as well as between the garage house and porch as well as fence..

I have no worries of other critters like that, just a bird swooping down.

I will take more pics so yo can see how hard it is to see them and get to them..

A stray cat might push it in, but i got a dog myself that would sound alarm and 3 cats...

I will be securing it with rocks tomorrow, and doubling it... just in case my stupid cat who will sit on the top falls in....

I have a feeling that the water hose might be in use training my cats to stay of it tomorrow..

I will let you know how the trial run goes..

My hubby wants to know what animal you had trouble with

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
Here are some wider shots...

Ignore my mess, i have a wild 4 year old!

poolpics013.jpg

from the back door
poolpics012.jpg

Other side
poolpics014.jpg

Today i am watching the angle of the sun and seeing what is the best spot. I also need to weed and level this area.....

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Terry Allan Hall said:
ChiKat said:
If I were to use this type of enclosure for Nelson this summer I would want to leave it outside on my second story deck at all times. Do you have any suggestions of what I could do when it rains, so that it doesn't flood? Cover it with a tarp?

Drill holes in the bottom, as drains...

If I did that would I want to put rocks in the bottom of the pool and then top soil on top?

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
i did the rocks and topsoil, as well as drill holes

well i didnt drill holes, i took a knife and took all my aggression out on the bottom...

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
terracolson said:
i did the rocks and topsoil, as well as drill holes

well i didnt drill holes, i took a knife and took all my aggression out on the bottom...

haha that might be what I'll have to do...considering I don't know how to use a drill :p

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
Yeah i dont know how to use a drill either, but after i stabbed it and my son was like "mom are you ok"

i would take the slanted slit and insert the knife again and twist a little, then a nice size hole would appear...

Lets say my neighbors will not come over and mess with me!! haha

Tommy

10 Year Member!
Here is my hatchling/yearling enclosure that I move around the yard.

Attachments

• tortrun.jpg
    tortrun.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 518

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tommy said:

Nice.

Hello and welcome to the forum. What species of hatchling/yearling uses this enclosure?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Tommy said:

Far superior to the Zoo Med Tortoise Playpen...what are the dimensions and what would you estimate your cost on one of these.

I'm using my (slatted, staggered) patio awning to deter flying predators...other than the occasional bobcat (that does nothing more than tear up Aladar's poop), I have nothing to worry about during the day, but now that I've seen a raccoon (the first I've seen here in the high desert since I moved here 6 years ago)...EVERYBODY comes in at night...even Aladar...especially Aladar! ;)

Oh yeah! Welcome to the forum!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Tommy:

Welcome to the forum!! That's a great little outdoor habitat.

Tommy

10 Year Member!
Thanks for the warm welcome. It houses a baby Sulcata that I purchased about 4 months ago. I did my research and realized what I was getting myself into before I purchased him. He/she stays there during the day and comes in at night. The dimensions are 4'X2'X8". Inside, I keep him in a concrete mixing tub, which following Tom's advice, is kept humid and has zoned heating.

I think it was about $30.

Attachments

• tortrun2.jpg
    tortrun2.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 293

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Its great to see so many great ideas to get your Torts outside for a bit. Truly the best way for them to get healthy bones and shells.

i was going to get a kiddie pool but then, there would be zero room on the apt balcony to entertain. The kiddie pools beat my $12 mortar tub (lowz). My kids get out in the sun on the weekends for an hour or so to soak. When out of the pool they run for cover. Too hot, still.

Status
Not open for further replies.