Cheap and Easy Way To Convert Table To Closed Chamber

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Let me start out by saying I'm a lumber hoarder. . . well, actually I hoard anything to do with building stuff. So I have quite a nice collection of scrap plywood, lumber and rigid foam. I also have a lot of new stuff left over from previous projects.

There are two tort tables in my SA leopard tortoise shed, built onto the east wall and the north wall. I can't get far enough away from them because of the size of the shed to give you good pictures of the tables, but I did my best.

This past week-end my tortoise partner came up to help me by doing some of the heavy lifting that I'm starting to become a bit too weak (?) or lazy to do myself. This weekend he placed some drip in the SA leopard yard and in the YF yard, and I asked if he could figure out a way to enclose one of the tort tables in the shed. The table he worked on houses a rescue from Kim in SoCal. You may remember pictures I posted of Lil' Kim:

leopard (Kim) 5-13-16 c.jpg

I neglected to get pictures of the table prior to Will working on enclosing it, but here's after:

covered table a.jpg
covered table b.jpg

Thank goodness for rigid foam and Gorilla tape. In the olden days we used to fix our Covered Wag. . . er. . . uh. . . Model T Ford, with bailing wire. Now-a-days we use Gorilla tape!!!

So here's the tort table on the other wall in that same shed:

covered table c.jpg

I put up a 2' length of 1/2x1" wood at either end, then another length of the same wood across the tops of the side pieces:

covered table d.jpg
covered table e.jpg

I screwed in cup holders on the underside of the cross piece to hold the lights. The fixture on the far left holds a black bulb, temporarily until I can buy a couple more fixtures with the larger dome and a small CHE.

Next I started enclosing it with rigid foam:

covered table f.jpg covered table g.jpg covered table h.jpg

I had to move the feeding tile up to the top of the hiding place because there was ants on it. I put down a Terro Ant trap and they went for the bait immediately.

ants.jpg

I'm rubbish at close ups, but the black along the front edge of the spilled liquid is ants.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I love the whole thinking out of the box ideas.
I'll have to try that gorilla tape.
I not only save building scrapes but I collect the stuff my neighbors throw away.
I have my son or hubby get it for me though. I don't want to be seen garbage picking lol

Ramirezm2

5 Year Member
Elk Grove CA
Let me start out by saying I'm a lumber hoarder. . . well, actually I hoard anything to do with building stuff. So I have quite a nice collection of scrap plywood, lumber and rigid foam. I also have a lot of new stuff left over from previous projects.

There are two tort tables in my SA leopard tortoise shed, built onto the east wall and the north wall. I can't get far enough away from them because of the size of the shed to give you good pictures of the tables, but I did my best.

This past week-end my tortoise partner came up to help me by doing some of the heavy lifting that I'm starting to become a bit too weak (?) or lazy to do myself. This weekend he placed some drip in the SA leopard yard and in the YF yard, and I asked if he could figure out a way to enclose one of the tort tables in the shed. The table he worked on houses a rescue from Kim in SoCal. You may remember pictures I posted of Lil' Kim:

View attachment 265830

I neglected to get pictures of the table prior to Will working on enclosing it, but here's after:

View attachment 265831
View attachment 265832

Thank goodness for rigid foam and Gorilla tape. In the olden days we used to fix our Covered Wag. . . er. . . uh. . . Model T Ford, with bailing wire. Now-a-days we use Gorilla tape!!!

View attachment 265833

I put up a 2' length of 1/2x1" wood at either end, then another length of the same wood across the tops of the side pieces:

View attachment 265834
View attachment 265835

I screwed in cup holders on the underside of the cross piece to hold the lights. The fixture on the far left holds a black bulb, temporarily until I can buy a couple more fixtures with the larger dome and a small CHE.

View attachment 265836 View attachment 265837 View attachment 265838

I had to move the feeding tile up to the top of the hiding place because there was ants on it. I put down a Terro Ant trap and they went for the bait immediately.

View attachment 265839

I'm rubbish at close ups, but the black along the front edge of the spilled liquid is ants.
Those Lugarti T-5 light fixtures work awesome! I have 5 of them linked to different enclosures.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

View attachment 265830

View attachment 265831
View attachment 265832

View attachment 265833

View attachment 265834
View attachment 265835

View attachment 265836 View attachment 265837 View attachment 265838

View attachment 265839

Uggh...Yvonne, I hate "Fng" ants....damn them.....