Cheap and Easy to convert into enclosure:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pensacola, FL
For those of you out there who lack the handy man/woman side ....it's completely understandable:) But have no fear a new idea is here. About 6yrs ago i converted a crate for a MRI machine into a dog house....figured might as well since it's already built and to this day it's been the best thing i've done. So your now thinking...hey i could make a reptile enclosure out of one of these....but where in the heck do i get one....well go by local warehouses or shipping depots.....or you can search the web.

http://www.uline.com/BL_427/Wood-Crates?pricode=WK631&gclid=CNzkuIWRlbcCFc5cMgod_loAkQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

All you need is to paint the inside of the crate with epoxy paint of your color choosing and add a door (little support would help with 1x2) and add vents and holes drilled out from top for your uvb or uva.

So all in all your going to save a lot of money and time. What do you guys think.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
That's actually a really good idea. Could probably add in sliding doors on a track very easily. I may actually have to use this idea lol. They have a lot of good size options. Not sure if I'm smart enough to actually find a local place to get one tho lol.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Sounds good but it really doesn't seem all that cheap to me if you're going to buy one from this website!

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
I don't think that is very cheap either, but I suppose it is cheaper than some other options.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think the whole idea was to go to a place that receives large products in crates and see if they'll give you the used crate. The web link was just for you to see what the OP was talking about.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
RE: Cheap and Easy to convert into enclosu)

Yvonne G said:
I think the whole idea was to go to a place that receives large products in crates and see if they'll give you the used crate. The web link was just for you to see what the OP was talking about.

Good point. You can also find these crates on CraigsList sometimes. I've seen them free on there.

7oasty23

5 Year Member
I built my indoor enclosure out of a steel roll shipping crate I got at work for free. I've also built a couple of doghouses as well.ImageUploadedByTortForum1368547382.834756.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Thank you yvonne for clarifying that for me. If you by a freight shipping place or near a manufacturing plant....they will more than likely have these sitting outside in piles. Why waste money and time when you can recycle :) Also i posted the link for those who would like to buy one....yes buying the materials to build it would be cheaper/////but if you add in the labor for a carpenter your looking at a whole lot more.

Status
Not open for further replies.