CHE blowing after 4 weeks

Sir_Rusty

Location (City and/or State)
Salisbury
Hello all, I come again for some learned advice.

After getting everything that was suggested last time I posted my tort has been flourishing. Everything has been perfect from the day/night temps to the humidity.

Today my CHE (100w) has blown and I have only had it just short of 4 weeks. Is this normal? Is it due to using a digital stat turning in and off all the time? Or is there something else I may be missing?

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Are you using a 110 or 230 volt CHE I think that may be the problem since you are UK which is 230 volts.

Nest 9 Reptile Heat Lamp, 150W Ceramic Heat Bulb, 2 Pack Heat Emitter Infrared Heat Lamp Bulb with 1 PCS Digital-Thermometer, No Harm No Light,for Pet Coop Chicken Lizard Turtle Brooder Aquarium
Brand: Nest 9
3.9 out of 5 stars 11 ratings
Price: $17.99 & FREE Returns
Get $125 off: Pay $0.00 upon approval for the Amazon Business Prime Card. Terms apply.
May be available at a lower price from other sellers, potentially without free Prime shipping.
This 150W Black infrared heat lamp is made of solid ceramics element, it has a perfect heat radiation feature and no light emitted 24hr Heat Source 100% Efficiency
This ceramic heat lamp is simple and easy to install, just screw it into a standard porcelain E27 screw socket, great for pet, coop, chicken, turtle
This heat lamp's input voltage is AC 220-230V, power is 100-Watts, full size is diameter 2.95 inch x height 3.94 inch
This ceramic heat emitter bulb is the perfect 24 hour heat source for reptiles and amphibians. It could last 9000-15,000 hours, even longer
This bulb‘s surface temperature is very high when working, please do not use your hand to test the temperature, also please adjust the distance between the heat lamp and the pets.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest

After getting everything that was suggested last time I posted my tort has been flourishing. Everything has been perfect from the day/night temps to the humidity.

Today my CHE (100w) has blown and I have only had it just short of 4 weeks. Is this normal? Is it due to using a digital stat turning in and off all the time? Or is there something else I may be missing?

Would you mind explaining to me, how do you know a CHE has blown? Simply stop working, or bang exploded?

Sir_Rusty

Salisbury
Are you using a 110 or 230 volt CHE I think that may be the problem since you are UK which is 230 volts.

Nest 9 Reptile Heat Lamp, 150W Ceramic Heat Bulb, 2 Pack Heat Emitter Infrared Heat Lamp Bulb with 1 PCS Digital-Thermometer, No Harm No Light,for Pet Coop Chicken Lizard Turtle Brooder Aquarium
Brand: Nest 9
3.9 out of 5 stars 11 ratings
Price: $17.99 & FREE Returns
Get $125 off: Pay $0.00 upon approval for the Amazon Business Prime Card. Terms apply.
May be available at a lower price from other sellers, potentially without free Prime shipping.
This 150W Black infrared heat lamp is made of solid ceramics element, it has a perfect heat radiation feature and no light emitted 24hr Heat Source 100% Efficiency
This ceramic heat lamp is simple and easy to install, just screw it into a standard porcelain E27 screw socket, great for pet, coop, chicken, turtle
This heat lamp's input voltage is AC 220-230V, power is 100-Watts, full size is diameter 2.95 inch x height 3.94 inch
This ceramic heat emitter bulb is the perfect 24 hour heat source for reptiles and amphibians. It could last 9000-15,000 hours, even longer
This bulb‘s surface temperature is very high when working, please do not use your hand to test the temperature, also please adjust the distance between the heat lamp and the pets.
230v is what I am using

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Something is wrong. There is nothing in a CHE that can rattle, even when it would stop working. They are solid ceramic with resistance wiring embedded for the heat source. I have CHEs that have been in operation of at least 20 years now with none failing.

I do stay away from the cheaper off-brand CHEs as I have bought a few of those that failed.

You must simply have a defective CHE.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Something is wrong. There is nothing in a CHE that can rattle, even when it would stop working. They are solid ceramic with resistance wiring embedded for the heat source. I have CHEs that have been in operation of at least 20 years now with none failing.

I do stay away from the cheaper off-brand CHEs as I have bought a few of those that failed.

. . . or is referring to something he's calling a CHE, but really isn't.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

Exactly...i was wondering what would be rattling. I too thought they were solid ceramic with embedded wire.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I posted the actual item that I bought and it is definitely a CHE. Must just be defective
I looked back at all three of your threads and never saw a picture of the CHE you bought. Does it look like this:

ceramic heat emitter.jpg(might also be black)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
As you can see, this is a solid piece of ceramic with the heating element embedded in it. It can't rattle. I s'pose if the ceramic has pulled away from the tin base there might be a rattle when shaken.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

CHEs don't normally blow out or stop working, but it can happen if they get knocked into and break.

Unscrew the CHE after unplugging that fixture and screw a light bulb into the socket to verify the socket is working fine.

If the light bulb lights up, then you've got a defective/broken CHE.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The only che I had stop working was a cheap off brand one. Otherwise mine have been working almost non stop since 2011.

Sir_Rusty

Salisbury
As you can see, this is a solid piece of ceramic with the heating element embedded in it. It can't rattle. I s'pose if the ceramic has pulled away from the tin base there might be a rattle when shaken.
My apologies it was the fitting I posted. And yes just like that but black.

Sir_Rusty

Salisbury
CHEs don't normally blow out or stop working, but it can happen if they get knocked into and break.

Unscrew the CHE after unplugging that fixture and screw a light bulb into the socket to verify the socket is working fine.

If the light bulb lights up, then you've got a defective/broken CHE.
Yeah the old night heat lamp i have works fine

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Well if you have a receipt take it back to the seller and see if they'll make it good. Or if mail ordered ask them.