CHE and Humidity

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjr153

5 Year Member
I got the CHE and the fogger today. Since I've assembled the fogger the humidity has gone up to 80%, is that a good number? With the UV light and the CHE I can only reach 80degrees (F). Why????? The light sits about two feet from the Sulcata. I cannot move it closer because of the screen lid.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The mist from the fogger has a cooling effect.

If you have your light sitting on screen, you are filtering our some of the beneficial UV rays.

kjr153

5 Year Member
So what should I do? Do you know if 80% humidity is ok and 80 degrees F is alright?

emysemys said:
The mist from the fogger has a cooling effect.

If you have your light sitting on screen, you are filtering our some of the beneficial UV rays.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What kind of tortoise do you have and what kind of heat other then the CHE? Also, either remove the screen and replace with a partial lid so you can lower the heat on one end or cut a hole in the screen, just big enough so the bulb can shine into enclosure without going threw the screen.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
80F is the MINIMUM temperature you want if you are dealing with the high humidity.

80%humidity is the target humidity for a young sulcata, so dont change that. This is a young sully, not an adult, right??

You can leave the CHE in the "cool end" to keep the 80F temp. Add another heat source on the other end of the enclosure, a basking bulb, to reach a temperature of 100-110F. This can be achieved by a regular incandescent bulb of 65-100watts.

kjr153

5 Year Member
No, mine is not an adult. I'm not sure about the age. I got him/her from a pet store last May and was told it was a hatchling, who knows though. :) It is about the size of a tennis ball. I better figure something out then if you're saying the cool end is supposed to be 80F. What do you mean by "regular incandescent bulb?" Just a household bulb? Are those safe in a clamp lamp. I need to get it to where I can have the light down closer. I'm just worried about a fire hazard.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Yes i mean regular house bulb. It is exactly what i use (along with many) in a clamp lamp that sits on top of the screen

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Gottcha ;)

I'm not sure about the OP but in my case i use the screen lid to create a humid closed chamber with my 40gal zilla tank. The entire screen is sealed except for holes cut out where the heat fixtures sit.
I have found that using a75 watt regular house bulb in summer and 100 watt in winter give me perfect basking temps up to 110F.
A 75 watt CHE gives me night temps that never drop below 80F

If i removed the screen id just have to come up with another lid anyway..

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
i use the screen lid to create a humid closed chamber with my 40gal zilla tank. The entire screen is sealed except for holes cut out where the heat fixtures sit.
I have found that using a75 watt regular house bulb in summer and 100 watt in winter give me perfect basking temps up to 110F.
A 75 watt CHE gives me night temps that never drop below 80F

If i removed the screen id just have to come up with another lid anyway..

Fantastic, sounds like you have a system that works for your tort and you...good job ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.