Character differences between Aldabras

TortyDxb

Location (City and/or State)
uae
I am soooooooo glad I am 'looking after' two young Aldabras, not one.

Their characters are really very different and I wouldn't know that with just one.

On the surface both are skittish by nature, so if you only have one Aldabra, and are reading this, you will probably agree with most of the posts on this forum that say Aldabras a shy tortoise, regardless.

But ...... one of the Aldabras we have, is so timid, that even after two months of daily bathes, great food and gentle interaction she will still run for her life if she sees us.

It's almost annoyingly so b/c she could kill herself in her panic attacks. Seriously. Flipping over etc as she hits a wall does happen.

It's also weird because she is quite the bossy pants when no humans are in her eye shot. She would eat until she blew up if she could too.

The other Aldabra is so endearing, seems to be very chilled, plonk him down and he won't run for it. Loves a bathe, seems to be like "what's all the fuss about?" to the other one. He kind of makes me love Aldabras more.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I am soooooooo glad I am 'looking after' two young Aldabras, not one.

Their characters are really very different and I wouldn't know that with just one.

On the surface both are skittish by nature, so if you only have one Aldabra, and are reading this, you will probably agree with most of the posts on this forum that say Aldabras a shy tortoise, regardless.

But ...... one of the Aldabras we have, is so timid, that even after two months of daily bathes, great food and gentle interaction she will still run for her life if she sees us.

It's almost annoyingly so b/c she could kill herself in her panic attacks. Seriously. Flipping over etc as she hits a wall does happen.

It's also weird because she is quite the bossy pants when no humans are in her eye shot. She would eat until she blew up if she could too.

The other Aldabra is so endearing, seems to be very chilled, plonk him down and he won't run for it. Loves a bathe, seems to be like "what's all the fuss about?" to the other one. He kind of makes me love Aldabras more.
According to Greg, Aldabraman, the males are very personable while th females are more skittish. You might have a pair there.
I notice these different personalities even in my leopards. Males friendly and out going, females aren't.

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
I just have on little guy for now haha but after only about a month he started not running when i come in the room and letting me watch him eat he has been a true joy to keep so far! very interesting the difference you describe makes me want another even more!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I just have on little guy for now haha but after only about a month he started not running when i come in the room and letting me watch him eat he has been a true joy to keep so far! very interesting the difference you describe makes me want another even more!
Just don't forget, tortoises don't do good in pairs. Not sure that holds true with Aldabras, but I would assume so. However, Yvonne had two males together, around 7-10 years of age and they seemed to be fine.

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
Just don't forget, tortoises don't do good in pairs. Not sure that holds true with Aldabras, but I would assume so. However, Yvonne had two males together, around 7-10 years of age and they seemed to be fine.

Yes absolutely! I plan to get a small group together eventually I've had good luck with groups of other tortoises but always avoid pairs.
Thank you for checking!