Changing Incubators

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoiseluvr

5 Year Member
Hi Everyone!

I have 2 pancake eggs in an incubator right now. I just candled them and one is definitely fertile:D There are some veins and I can see a little embryo. I would like to get a better incubator that is easier to monitor temperature and humidity, so I was wondering if it would be bad to move the egg into another incubator. The egg is currently in a little plastic container with vermiculite, so I can move it without having to pick up or move the egg itself. Any input would be great! Thanks :)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
It's always best to limit any movement. But I do it all the time. I have to with my huge incubator because the tubs are just stacked on one another during this time of year having so many eggs. I've never had a problem with any not hatching. Just be super careful though. Of dropped that could be very bad.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Also check the temp in the new incubator with the thermometer from the current incubator. I'd let the new one run for at least two or three days to really make sure the temp is set where you want it and stable.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
One important thing is not to rotate the egg while moving it.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
You can switch incubators no problem. I have a smaller incubator I use when my larger one fills up. The larger incubator is much more consistent so when there's room I move the eggs from the smaller incubator to the larger one and still get near 100% hatch rates. Just make sure the humidity and temp levels are near the same when switching.

Status
Not open for further replies.