Changes to Classifieds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, CA
I'd like to know how you all would feel about making the Classifieds a 'no reply' forum. This would mean that users can post their ad but responses to the ads will not be allowed. You will have to contact the poster via PM, email, or other means that they specify.
I know others have expressed a want for this some time ago and the more I research, I see other forums have implemented this policy too.
What do you think?

agiletorts

10 Year Member!
San Jose, CA
A lot of times the ad is not specific enough that we need to ask questions which generally would benefit other readers as well, so I still like the ability to reply to an ad. But if space is a big concern here (or any other concerns?) then I would agree to make it a no-reply forum as we could always PM or email the seller directly.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I like the idea. But I also agree with Agiletorts. Quite often someone says they have a tortoise for sale but they neglect to say what kind or where they are. They will get pretty upset having to answer 10 or 15 emails asking the same what-kind-and-where-are-you question. Maybe you can have some guidelines pop up when someone wants to post a classified...reminders to include price, type of tortoise, location, etc.

Yvonne

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Make absolute rules about posting any Ads, ie:

Species.. WC or CH.. age.. sex.. asking price.. shipping costs/options.. contact info.

Set it up so if these 'categories' are not completed the Ad cannot be posted.

Simple as that...

Terry K

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Josh sounds like Terry K. has the answer. If the Classified ads are set up this way then there will be no need to post to them. A simple PM or email from an interested party should do the trick.
Oh and you might want to make a section so they know they can post a pic or two. Perhaps a carapace and plastron shot.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
i like terrys idea for required info in classifieds posts but (and im just playing devils advocate here) what about craigslist reposts (and other reposts), and what about enforcing the policy? should we require all classifieds ads go to the moderation queue and get approved before being posted?

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
josh said:
i like terrys idea for required info in classifieds posts but (and im just playing devils advocate here) what about craigslist reposts (and other reposts), and what about enforcing the policy? should we require all classifieds ads go to the moderation queue and get approved before being posted?

You don't need to involve anyone but yourself Josh. Just set it up with required fields before it will post. TF.org Ads have nothing to do with anything else! These are FREE Ads.. set it up right!!!

Terry K

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Josh, you should be able to set it up so the seller just fills in the fields.( just like a form) If you could set it up so they have to fill in at least one field in each line then and only then will it post. (I think that is the key) It will have all the information a buyer needs initally. IMHO
Oh, and could you put a box or icon that the seller can later click to show that it has been sold? And if clicking on this sold could alert the mods or auto move it to the sold section that too would be great (not sure if this can be done).

Species:_______________
WC: ___ CB: ____ unknown: ____
age _______ or size SCL(straight Carapace Length):______mm Weight:______grams
Sex: F ____ M ____ unknown _____ //Sex temped: F_____ M_____
Price: $_____________
Shipping costs or options:________________________

PM or Email this seller for additional information.

may add picture:

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
I'd have to agree with Terry and Robyn ~ without the "required" info, the ad just won't post.. and the box for "sold" is a great idea too ~ ;)

Bestest of luck with this endeavor,
Purpod

Status
Not open for further replies.