Chaco's from the NRBE

Turtlepete

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
I've been wondering about this for a while. For the last couple years, as far as I'm aware, there has been groups of chaco's being imported and brought to the NRBE in Daytona each year. Last year they were at Tom Crutchfield's table. They sell for $400 a piece. Some are actually in quite nice shape, heavy and clear-eyed, while others feel hollow and very likely did not survive for long. I'm curious, is there anyone on this forum that purchased any that year? I know many sold, but I'm curious if any of them lived to acclimate to captivity. I've heard this species can be crazy sensitive and is very prone to disease and such, so I figure this should make them hellish to acclimate, but I've not heard much about acclimating them, perhaps because WC are rare? Very few seem to have Chaco's, but they are a species I'd love to get some experience with. There definitely need to be more successful keepers of them out there.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I've been wondering about this for a while. For the last couple years, as far as I'm aware, there has been groups of chaco's being imported and brought to the NRBE in Daytona each year. Last year they were at Tom Crutchfield's table. They sell for $400 a piece. Some are actually in quite nice shape, heavy and clear-eyed, while others feel hollow and very likely did not survive for long. I'm curious, is there anyone on this forum that purchased any that year? I know many sold, but I'm curious if any of them lived to acclimate to captivity. I've heard this species can be crazy sensitive and is very prone to disease and such, so I figure this should make them hellish to acclimate, but I've not heard much about acclimating them, perhaps because WC are rare? Very few seem to have Chaco's, but they are a species I'd love to get some experience with. There definitely need to be more successful keepers of them out there.
They were all sold to my friend. He bought all of them this year minus a few that went before he got to them. So far they're doing well. Some perished but that's a nature of imports. Also keep in mind it's winter down there, so it's pulling them out of hibernation during that time of year.

Turtlepete

South Florida
Wow, very glad to hear that some of them are doing well. I keep thinking about picking up a pair or two. The species itself just makes me very nervous. Although so did forstenii. You hear so little about them and the stories I have heard are horror stories that involve thousands of dollars in vet care to get one out of five to live. I'm hoping the reality is a little bit more promising then that.

What ssp./regional variation do you think the ones at the NRBE were? They looked like chilensis to me. I had a picture of them somewhere but seem to have lost them, unfortunately. They definitely weren't the donoborrossi from what I remember. Looked much more like the chilensis from your photos.