Ceramic Heat Emitter Vs. Radiant Heat Panel

ztgbrawler3

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Hebron, KY
I currently use CHEs, and use them on a thermostat, but am concerned about the increased long term potential for fires or other hazards. I have been doing some reading on the radiant heat panels, such as those made by Reptile Basics and other herp brands. Has anyone made the switch to radiant heat panels? Are they more efficient for similar wattage units? Can they be mounted on the side walls of the enclosure? Due to size, I'd have to mount them sideways, and probably not overhead. Safe for contact with the tortoise? Anyone who is willing to share their experience with RHPs would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 63

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use both. They are about the same when it comes to efficiency and heating ability, but the heat is spread out over a greater area with the RHP. This greater spread of heat is better for larger tortoises, but CHEs work fine for smaller tortoises. I've tried side mounted RHPs and I don't like it. They aren't made for that, and the tortoise shouldn't be able to get too close to it for two reasons: 1. It can get too hot if the tortoise is resting up against it or too close to it, and 2. The tortoise will destroy it by rubbing on it with its shell or legs.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I use them, only top mounted, in a couple of enclosures. I am not impressed with the outcome in very cold weather honestly. Works well in my indoor enclosre though.

ztgbrawler3

10 Year Member!
Hebron, KY
I use them, only top mounted, in a couple of enclosures. I am not impressed with the outcome in very cold weather honestly. Works well in my indoor enclosre though.

That's somewhat disappointing to hear that the panels don't work well for you. I have an insulated enclosure in my garage, but the enclosure is rather large, and the garage still gets pretty cold here in the Midwest winters.

ztgbrawler3

10 Year Member!
Hebron, KY
I use both. They are about the same when it comes to efficiency and heating ability, but the heat is spread out over a greater area with the RHP. This greater spread of heat is better for larger tortoises, but CHEs work fine for smaller tortoises. I've tried side mounted RHPs and I don't like it. They aren't made for that, and the tortoise shouldn't be able to get too close to it for two reasons: 1. It can get too hot if the tortoise is resting up against it or too close to it, and 2. The tortoise will destroy it by rubbing on it with its shell or legs.

Well at least I know that side mounting them won't work then. I may try to tweak my enclosure so as to mount them properly. What kind of thermostat do you use with them?

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I'm using a 120w RHP from reptile basics with the zilla thermostat. It definitely puts out nice, even heat. Once I sealed up the enclosure better it's been keeping it nice and warm in there

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
That's somewhat disappointing to hear that the panels don't work well for you. I have an insulated enclosure in my garage, but the enclosure is rather large, and the garage still gets pretty cold here in the Midwest winters.
I am disappointed as well. He does spend a lot of time under it. His shell temp seems ok, but the ambient does not stay what I would like. I am in Spokane WA, so we do get some really cold weather.