Central American wood turtle

Joe C

Hi! I have a Central American wood turtle or ornate wood turtle and I was thinking about making a nice outside pen in the summer for it. Not to stay out all the time but just for the hot sunny days to get her some more excersise and a healthier life:). Does anybody have any tips? I've realized that there's not much information on this breed of turtle since I've had her for the past year. What wild outdoor plants do they like? Would love to hear everyone and anyone's feedback and some more info on this breed :)!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I don't keep this species, and have no experience at all with them, only what I've read, so you can take my opinion, or leave it.

I think they would need a wetter environment than a regular U.S. box turtle. I've heard of folks setting them up (indoors) in half water, half land. I've heard them referred to as semi aquatic.

You can plant any of the same edible plants that you would use for any other turtle/tortoise - hosta, rose of sharon, pansies, violas, violets, some ferns, a little grape vine, etc.

This comes from a Reptiles magazine article:

A suitable enclosure (indoors or outdoors) will measure around 6 feet wide by 8 feet long and 8 inches tall, with an easily accessible freshwater pond area about one-third of the enclosure's size. Substrate should consist of approximately 8 inches of loose, sandy soil. Plant the enclosure with tropical or tropical-looking plants, such as broad-leaf cannas or pokeberry, which will give these nonbasking turtles adequate escape from the heat of the day and the privacy that helps them to thrive. They enjoy the darkness of tropical forests, and this atmosphere should be replicated in captivity as best as possible.

Ornate wood turtles love to dig for food and, like eastern box turtles, they have been documented as listening for invertebrates beneath the soil. As omnivores, they also feed on fresh fruits and vegetables, such as bananas, melons and collard greens, as well as small mammals, such as mice and invertebrates such as grubs, beetles and earthworms. Allowing your turtles to dig for some of their own food is enriching to them and will make for much healthier specimens.

If you keep your turtles outdoors, be sure you have a backup enclosure indoors, in which to keep your turtles, even if just for the night, if winter weather becomes severe. Comfortable temperatures for the ornate wood turtle are between 76 and 86 degrees Fahrenheit. Slight fluctuations of temperature by a few degrees are expected and are typically tolerated well at night. Humidity should be around 60 percent.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
They are beautiful but I've never kept one. From what I understand care is similar to box turtles.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Thanks, Wellington :)

I would aim for two things when setting up Rhinoclemmys outdoors:

1. Lots of cover - Live plants, both in the water and on the land section will go a long way to keep humidity higher, keep the turtle feeling safe, and provide safety from the sun. Knowing where you live will also be important in determining how you set this up. If you live in Florid, things like shade cloths could be an important tool, and the enclosure might benefit from being set up in the shade. If you were from up here in the cold north, you wouldn't need to set it up in shade, but you should still grow plants that will provide retreat from the direct sun.

2. Lots of humidity/water - ATHis might be easier or tougher to provide, dependent upon where you live, as well. I would bury a nice tub, perhaps a 50 gallon rubber made into the ground, fill it with water, and provide lots of logs and things for easy climbing in and out. Water plants like hyacinth and water lettuce can grow in there. Then, plants that can handle being flooded should be chosen for the terrestrial portion of the enclosure. I would flood the enclosure every morning that the turtle(s) was/were out there.

Hope this helps :)

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
don't know if this would add anything helpful beyond what Anthony said , but I've kept them for awhile , I have like 7 or 8 right now ......not sure where you are , but I keep them outside from May to October in zone 6a ..... I have a rolled up plastic cover in place for their pen when it starts getting below 60 at night , they've never had a problem with occasional nights in the 50's , as long as they had a place to get hot during the day . if the temps aren't hitting the 70's in the day i'll leave the plastic cover on .. when it regularly gets 50 or less at night and stops hitting 70 in the day I bring them in .... not sure at what point I started leaving these guys out in 50 degree temps , I don't think i'd leave fresh imports out in those temps , these guys here have been acclimated to these temps as none of them have not been here for less than10-15yrs , some born here ..... I keep a red brooder lamp in their pen and put it on when the temps get below 60 at night , I've read about not using a red brooder lamp , but these guys here know it means heat , they're used to it , and they can find it ..... you could use a high wattage che , if they have trouble finding the che when it gets cold , put it above their water , if that doesn't work go with the red brooder lamp I know they'll figure that out ........ they eat anything , mice , fish , worms , bugs , fish or turtle pellets , dog food , bananas , strawberries , dandelions , grape leaves , plantain , rose of Sharon leaves , romaine , not much they don't eat , a weed will not make it in their pen ...... mine lay eggs from December through February ........ they are super hardy turtles , they do well in groups , they like to bury themselves , they love to bask in the morning sun , as Anthony said , they love being wet , muddy , they love the rain , it'll bring them out everytime , they do like it humid ...... and also as he said make sure they have a hide , I find them to be a bit skittish .......

Joe C

Thank you everyone for the replies!!! this is all very helpful. Right now I have mine indoors cuz I live in New York State near Niagara Falls so we have pretty harsh winters and mild summers. I was also wondering what else I can feed her besides various veggies and some fruits? She seems to be pretty picky she mostly eats romaine, kale, tomatoes, cucumber and occasionally a clementine. Any suggestions? I would love to see some pictures of your set ups and your turtles:):tort:

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Thank you everyone for the replies!!! this is all very helpful. Right now I have mine indoors cuz I live in New York State near Niagara Falls so we have pretty harsh winters and mild summers. I was also wondering what else I can feed her besides various veggies and some fruits? She seems to be pretty picky she mostly eats romaine, kale, tomatoes, cucumber and occasionally a clementine. Any suggestions? I would love to see some pictures of your set ups and your turtles:):tort:
Nightcrawlers

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
The diet you are providing sounds great. Supplementing with a bit of protein doesn't sound like a bad idea. For my true omnivores, I provide more veggies and fruit than protein, but each part is important. For those guys, I give whatever is on hand, on sale, or in season.

Protein: boiled chicken, boiled turkey, ground turkey, frozen shrimp, freeze dried shrimp, scrambled eggs, earthworms, other invertebrates, fish. Try to avoid raw stuff, just to keep from introducing anything nasty to your animals.

Fruit: strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, mango, banana, tomato. Try to avoid citrus fruit.

Veggies: I use a lot of sweet potato and zucchini. Things like squash can be really great. Any mushrooms sold at the grocery store are a real bonus for omnivorous species. Greens are great, if you can get these turtles to eat them. Dandelion is one of the best, but things like chicory, escarole and others can also be chopped up and mixed in.

Vitamins and calcium can and should be used, especially for animals being kept indoors.

Joe C

The diet you are providing sounds great. Supplementing with a bit of protein doesn't sound like a bad idea. For my true omnivores, I provide more veggies and fruit than protein, but each part is important. For those guys, I give whatever is on hand, on sale, or in season.

Protein: boiled chicken, boiled turkey, ground turkey, frozen shrimp, freeze dried shrimp, scrambled eggs, earthworms, other invertebrates, fish. Try to avoid raw stuff, just to keep from introducing anything nasty to your animals.

Fruit: strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, mango, banana, tomato. Try to avoid citrus fruit.

Veggies: I use a lot of sweet potato and zucchini. Things like squash can be really great. Any mushrooms sold at the grocery store are a real bonus for omnivorous species. Greens are great, if you can get these turtles to eat them. Dandelion is one of the best, but things like chicory, escarole and others can also be chopped up and mixed in.

Vitamins and calcium can and should be used, especially for animals being kept indoors.
Okay thank you! I was also thinking maybe in the summer I could add another turtle in with her so she has a buddy. Are there any other species she could cohabitate with? Box turtles? I thought it'd be cool if I could have a different kind :)

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Well, they certainly are solitary animals, like all chelonians. That said, it can be done. I always try to keep same species together, especially since breeding is the best reward many of us can have in this hobby.

There are many species in the Rhinoclemmys genus, but I would keep her with another manni or whatever she is... Just my two cents.

Joe C

Well, they certainly are solitary animals, like all chelonians. That said, it can be done. I always try to keep same species together, especially since breeding is the best reward many of us can have in this hobby.

There are many species in the Rhinoclemmys genus, but I would keep her with another manni or whatever she is... Just my two cents.
Okay. How do I introduce a new turtle? I have a female so what gender will be most compatible? Or do u think it's best to just stick with one?

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
I've seen the females get aggressive with each other , the most aggressive one I got is a female , I know a group works , it spreads out the aggression , plus they need to be able to escape ....... one thing about a box turtle , when they close up no turtle is getting them ......

DSCF2592.jpg

DSCF2594.jpg

DSCF2593.jpg

DSCF2595.jpg

DSCF2605.jpg

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Okay. How do I introduce a new turtle? I have a female so what gender will be most compatible? Or do u think it's best to just stick with one?
It is safest to stick with one, always.

That said, I have 93 turtles and tortoises :)

Just think about enclosure design when you have multiple animals in mind, and don't do it unless you have the ability to separate them.

Mark, are you kidding with that damn enclosure? Can I live in there?