Central American Ornate Wood Turtle

Ashle

Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
Hi! This is my first post so excuse my struggles, this forum is for any info about CAOWT so if you know anything please post! Does anyone have a complete or big list of plants that are safe for them?

Ashle

Missouri
Also does anyone know what aquatic animals can live with them and how to get mine eating better food? Mine wasnt cared for correctly and I’m re him.
Welcome to the Forum, Ashle! Have you read this care sheet:

http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Turtle-Tortoise-Species/Central-American-Wood-Turtle

I've always trusted the pages written by Austin:

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/cs-caowood.htm

Thank you! I’ve read Austin’s but I don’t believe I’ve seen reptile magazine, thank you!

Herp Hero

Jasper, AL
Welcome to the forum!

I wouldn't keep any aquatic chelonians with painted woods, as juveniles/adults are highly terrestrial, and even hatchlings need shallow water. If you had a large outdoor enclosure you could keep something from their range that might be compatible. TheTurtleRoom's website has a great resource for that in the education section of their website. As for plants I have many plants that grow naturally to create a dense outdoor enclosure such as honey suckle, and muscadine. Along with plants for outdoors poke berry, hosta, Boston fern, majesty palm, pothos, windmill palm, creeping jenny, aluminum plant, along with others. TheTortoiseTable website also has a list of safe plants. For my indoor hatchling/juvenile tubs I mainly use pothos.

Ashle

Missouri
Welcome to the forum!

I wouldn't keep any aquatic chelonians with painted woods, as juveniles/adults are highly terrestrial, and even hatchlings need shallow water. If you had a large outdoor enclosure you could keep something from their range that might be compatible. TheTurtleRoom's website has a great resource for that in the education section of their website. As for plants I have many plants that grow naturally to create a dense outdoor enclosure such as honey suckle, and muscadine. Along with plants for outdoors poke berry, hosta, Boston fern, majesty palm, pothos, windmill palm, creeping jenny, aluminum plant, along with others. TheTortoiseTable website also has a list of safe plants. For my indoor hatchling/juvenile tubs I mainly use pothos.
Thank you so much! This is very helpful!