cats + tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

big_red_tortoise

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
I have a RF that is about a year old and stays inside all the time (we live in an apartment). My friend is moving so she needs to find her cat a good home and I really want to take her, but my boyfriend is convinced that the cat will try to hurt the tortoise. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have 6 outdoor cats and one indoor cat. The cats have never shown an interest in the tortoises. If you have a very small hatchling, a cat might want to "play" with this new movable toy, but once the tortoise is bigger than a cat toy, the cats don't care one way or the other about the tortoises.

Yvonne

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
My cats pretty much ignore the torts (RFs yearlings to breeder adults and yearling MEPs) but the real concern I have is cats using enclosures as litter boxes.This is solved by screen tops on enclosures.

Marla

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
RainbowValley, AZ.
One of my cats was born in a Greek house during hibernation for the tortoises...Mom kitty was ferral and never hurt my tortoises(mom kitty and babies were all placed in good homes)..The worse that ever happened to my baby tortoises was..A young in door kitty of my daughters scooped the babies out of the tank and when I got home I found babies walking all over the place..Not one of the babies were injured(we got a lid after that)..I'm sure kitty and tortoise will do fine together...

Status
Not open for further replies.