addyson123

Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
I have 2 cats that don't bother mine (I have a 6 month old Russian) His enclosure is elevated off the floor and has high sides. I just made sure there was nothing the cats could jump on near by so they could jump into his encloser.
Thanks!

addyson123

Oregon
I mainly have three concerns with cats and torts, the first is - a tort enclosure is a fantastic litter box for any kitten or cat that can climb into it, so make sure you have a lid! Even if you think the cat would never... he/she could. Second is just make sure the cords for the tort’s light is taped down, so the kitten doesn’t think that the cord is a toy and starts tugging on it (or so the cat doesn’t get tangled up in the cords and panics! I had this happen to my dog). The third I can think up is the same for the lights, just make sure the kitten can’t one day wack the lamp off the tort’s enclosure. You probably don’t have to worry about a kitten doing this but when the kitten is bigger and stronger she/he might try it. Cats are adorable lovable jerks. Enjoy your new kitten! :)?
For sure, I'm currently kitten-proofing my home so I'll add those to the list. Thank you so much!

addyson123

Oregon
How big is your Tort? Kittens (and grown) will try to bat the tort around. My cats don't bother my Guys at all. You do need to cover your tort enclosure as you don't want the cat to use it as a litter box. And, until you can judge the interaction between the two - you need to be watching them when together. Normally the cat will loose interest in the Tort quickly if it closes up and does not move around. But, you don't want either one to get bitten.
Yeah for sure, my russian tortoise is about 5 inches long and 4 inches wide. I'm getting the lid and I'll definitely supervise them when they're together. Thanks!

addyson123

Oregon
While I understand people's concerns, we have always felt that if animals are raised together they get along. And it's always been the case in this house. Here are a few examples. I used to go through Great Lengths to try to keep the cats out of the tortoise tanks but they always manage to find a way to get in there and Under The Lights. I would not stress about it. Hope everybody is staying healthy and I've also found that wrapping your Greens in tin foil helps to make them last much longer in the refrigerator.

View attachment 288621View attachment 288622
Great, thanks. Your pets are so cute! And nice tip on the lettuce :)

addyson123

Oregon
One thing that I've noticed helps motivate kitty's to stay out of a tortoise table is to keep the substrate moist! And always clean out extra protein if your tortoise is a red foot once they are done eating, or kitty will definitely come to investigate some shrimp for instance.
But I still came home last year to find my poor baby with some scratch marks on her poor face after a curious kitty snuck in....
Keeping the misting bottle on hand taught the kitty very quickly that the tort table equates to a wet butt! She hates that!
Oh and my dumb kitty jumped up onto my newly installed shower curtain and left stretched out paw / claw prints going down it! How rude!
Yeah I know that about cats, I grew up with them, they can be quite a handfull! Thanks for the help!

Salisbury
Hello everyone,
I am planning on adopting a kitten soon and I have a 2 year old russian tortoise currently. I will have to keep the kitten in my room (where my tortoise is) for most of the time, especially for the first few weeks, as the rest of my house is run by my dogs. What are some safety measures that I can do to ensure that the cat doesn't hurt my tortie?
Introduce your kitten to your tort early on as soon as you can. If it tries to play or hurt it tell your kitten off. Don’t worry straight away as tortoises are quite resilient. I have a rescue that was picked up and chewed bu a dog but she’s fine now. If your tort scares your kitten, then get him if her more used to seeing your tort.

Gig

Florida
Hello everyone,
I am planning on adopting a kitten soon and I have a 2 year old russian tortoise currently. I will have to keep the kitten in my room (where my tortoise is) for most of the time, especially for the first few weeks, as the rest of my house is run by my dogs. What are some safety measures that I can do to ensure that the cat doesn't hurt my tortie?
I have 2 cats 1 dog & Baby (my Salcuta) everybody get along great. in fact baby runs the roost ??

addyson123

Oregon
Introduce your kitten to your tort early on as soon as you can. If it tries to play or hurt it tell your kitten off. Don’t worry straight away as tortoises are quite resilient. I have a rescue that was picked up and chewed bu a dog but she’s fine now. If your tort scares your kitten, then get him if her more used to seeing your tort.
Okay, thanks.