Caterpillars & Slugs

AMA904

My testudo mix seems to be attracting a lot of caterpillars and slugs. I won't have a tortoise until late July, but I'm afraid there might not be much left at the rate they are currently eating. I hate to take steps to kill the invaders, but I'm not sure what else I can do. Any thoughts?

Jlant85

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
I wish i have an answer to this >.< My Table for growing food is raised from the ground so i never had an issue.... >.<

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
It is too bad you don't have some redfoot torts to clear out the worms and caterpillars :p yuuuummmm for them. You can literally pick them all out ---while this seems like a task, it is one of the ways to assure no harmful things in the enclosure...

AMA904

It is too bad you don't have some redfoot torts to clear out the worms and caterpillars :p yuuuummmm for them. You can literally pick them all out ---while this seems like a task, it is one of the ways to assure no harmful things in the enclosure...

I'm sure they would love it. It's going to be impossible to clear them all out. This was just from being out there for a few minutes (no exaggeration).

IMAG0109_zpsjtgjze6t.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
You are making my red foot drool.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
WOW it be amazing to watch one of them turn into a butterfly! I remember when i was a kid i would collect one and wait... AHHHH memories.... but back to your problem.... AWWW sorry bud... its not even the peak of summer and you have all this issue.... hope you come up with something soon.

AMA904

WOW it be amazing to watch one of them turn into a butterfly! I remember when i was a kid i would collect one and wait... AHHHH memories.... but back to your problem.... AWWW sorry bud... its not even the peak of summer and you have all this issue.... hope you come up with something soon.

I've always enjoyed caterpillars as well. Just not so much right now ;)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I was thinking the same thing....I would get a really big container and add a sturdy lid with some plants for the worms to get to and would set them in the container and let them become the beautiful butterflies they were designed to be...then ahhhh, lift the lid and cut them loose...how awesome an opportunity you have been given....:D