Carrot Soaks

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
He still is really lethargic. I mean he’s moving around more but doesn’t stay awake long and doesn’t drink. He had fluids at the vet Monday and hasn’t lost any weight yet. I have to keep a paper towel under him while soaking or I’m sure he would drown. View attachment 244896

Make his carrot baby food soak deeper, so his tail is completely immersed in baby food bath and comes up to his sides. Roll that paper towel up or use something else to prop his head securely on to keep him from drowning and keep soaking away. Don’t give up the fight till there is nothing else to fight for any more. You are not there yet. Stay at it my friend[emoji217]

Destben

Kansas
Update on the little guy. He is very active but the vet thinks he may have deformed eyes so he may be blind and I agree at this point. The main challenge right now is getting him to eat. I was able to get the tiniest bit of critical care food in his mouth yesterday and he swallowed but not nearly enough. Hopefully the vet will be able to help me get food in him today.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
With a blind tortoise, I chop the food up into tiny pieces and place it up against a wall so when he makes bites at it it doesn't move away from him.

Destben

Kansas
With a blind tortoise, I chop the food up into tiny pieces and place it up against a wall so when he makes bites at it it doesn't move away from him.
I will try this. I have tried giving him everything and he wont eat though. That is why we are doing the critical care for now. any other tips would be very helpful. He is very tiny.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Include some cucumber or watermelon in with the chopped up food and mix it all up so the whole thing smells like cucumber or watermelon.

Last edited:

Destben

Kansas
Include some cucumber or watermelon in with the chopped up food and mix it all up so the whole thing smells like cucumber or watermelon.
I have watermelon for my guinea pigs so I can try that tonight. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Thanks for trying so hard to help him and good luck!

Destben

Kansas
Destben posted several days ago on another thread that baby Sullivan had died despite her best efforts to save him. He had developed septicemia.

I was able to get him to poop but at that point it was to much for the little guy. He’s resting peacefully over the rainbow bridge. [emoji217][emoji173]️