1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Carnival/Fair

Discussion in 'Aldabra tortoises' started by janiedough, Jun 1, 2009.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. janiedough

janiedough New Member 10 Year Member! 5 Year Member

Location (City and/or State):
    South Louisiana
    I went to the Cajunheartland State Fair (a travelling carnival that my town rented to come for a week basically). They had a petting zoo, and in it was a 500lb 127 year old aldabra.

It was bigger than the cow they had on display. It looked very healthy, albeit very tired. Its shell was nicely domed and was not pyramided. I tried to take a pic, but all you could see was a big black lump.

I didn't see it eat or move, but as it was at night and dark in its corner I am assuming it was sleeping. They had it in a pen with shavings - not sure what kind.
  2. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Tortoise Club

Clovis, CA
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    OMG! Can you imagine moving a big thing like that around? I wonder how they did it. You're probably right about it being night time and asleep. Would be interesting to see it in the day. I used to take Dudley (sulcata) to events to be on display, and he got quite used to it. At first he was a little stressed out, but after a few times he relaxed and acted like it didn't bother him at all.

Yvonne
  3. janiedough

janiedough New Member 10 Year Member! 5 Year Member

South Louisiana
    yeah, i wasn't sure how the response would be from this board

the tortoise seemed healthy, but i am not sure what kind of lifestyle that is to lead as a tort.
  4. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Tortoise Club

Clovis, CA
    Well, in the real world, they come out in the morning and after sunning to warm up, they browse around and eat a while. They laze away most of the day doing nothing. So being on display at a carnival might add a little spice to the tortoise's life. As long as the keeper makes sure the people don't tease it. If its well taken care of, I see nothing wrong with being on display.

Yvonne
  5. Stazz

Stazz New Member 5 Year Member

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
    Well I know tallula would LOVE the attention !!! But cool to have a fair like that in town ! They have nothing like that here! :(
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.