Caresheet for aldabra?

Status
Not open for further replies.

curioussnake

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi,

Just wonder, do we take care of an aldabra similar to a radiated tortoise or a red footed tortoise?

What is the humidity requirement of it?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
I think Greg should address this one...;)

curioussnake

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Laura said:
Do you have one or are you considering getting one?
VERY LARGE...... $$$

Yup, I have one baby aldabra around 3.5 inches :)

i m maintainin it at humidity around 60-90% as i m living in asia, just to confirm whether is this suitable.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Ours, both aldabra and radiateds do great at the higher levels, they are kept outside here in SW Florida.

curioussnake

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
ALDABRAMAN said:
Ours, both aldabra and radiateds do great at the higher levels, they are kept outside here in SW Florida.

Hi,

Did u mean that i need to keep them in higher humidity?

Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Curioussnake:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name?

I have two Aldabran tortoises that I got as hatchlings and they are now 11 years old. If you compare my two with pictures of Greg's (AldabraMan), you can see a drastic difference in their shells. Mine are pretty bumpy and Greg's are very smooth. I raised mine with no added humidity...only what is in the air here in Central California. They were outside, but with a heated shed. Greg is in Florida and his are also raised outside. I think the comparison between our two speaks for itself. They do need more humidity in order to grow smooth shells.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
curioussnake said:
ALDABRAMAN said:

Hi,

Did u mean that i need to keep them in higher humidity?

Thanks

We experience no pyramiding, our humidity runs between 60's and 90's throughout the day on the averages.

Tortuga_terrestre said:
curioussnake said:
Hi,

Just wonder, do we take care of an aldabra similar to a radiated tortoise or a red footed tortoise?

What is the humidity requirement of it?

PM Aldabraman... he is a living caresheet

LOL, Thats funny, sorta true!

DeanS said:
I think Greg should address this one...;)

:):)!

Laura said:
Do you have one or are you considering getting one?
VERY LARGE...... $$$

:tort: True!

curioussnake

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks for all the information.

Thanks for all the information provided guys.

My name is Goh , i m from Malaysia (Asia), i just got the baby aldabra 2 days ago :)

I keep my aldabra outdoor under the roof, it will get approx 1 hour of direct sunlight per day in the morning

I think the humidity here should be alright, ranging from 50-95%

Can i feed the baby aldabra with mazuri? (occasionally)

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
curioussnake said:
Thanks for all the information.

Thanks for all the information provided guys.

My name is Goh , i m from Malaysia (Asia), i just got the baby aldabra 2 days ago :)

I keep my aldabra outdoor under the roof, it will get approx 1 hour of direct sunlight per day in the morning

I think the humidity here should be alright, ranging from 50-95%

Can i feed the baby aldabra with mazuri? (occasionally)

Feed it Mazuri daily...do you have access to cactus (opuntia)? That's all you would ever need.

curioussnake

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
IMG_1174.jpg

I bought it in malaysia, the seller told me is CB from Mauritius, bought it for Ringgit Malaysia 5500, i guess is approx USD 1700

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
curioussnake said:
IMG_1174.jpg

I bought it in malaysia, the seller told me is CB from Mauritius, bought it for Ringgit Malaysia 5500, i guess is approx USD 1700

Very well started, looks great!

DAV46

5 Year Member
Wow, now that is a tiny Aldabra and a cutie! You live in Malaysia, do you ever see Water Monitors there? I understand they can be quite common.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
That little guy looks perfect...keep up the good work:tort:

curioussnake

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
DAV46 said:
Wow, now that is a tiny Aldabra and a cutie! You live in Malaysia, do you ever see Water Monitors there? I understand they can be quite common.

Yup, it is very common, sometimes they just wander into housing area

Thanks guys :)
By the way, in the future when the little aldabra grows up a little bit, can i put it together with my radiated tortoise?
and also, do i need to soak the aldabra baby if i have already provide it with a (shallow)water dish? it seems like duno how to drink from the dish?

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
No, it's not a good idea to mix species at all. There are risks of cross-contamination, bullying, and aldabras and radiateds have different care requirements. He won't need daily soaks, but weekly soaks for about 20 minutes in slightly warm, de-chlorined water is definitely recommended. Maybe you can adjust the water dish so that he can reach it?

curioussnake

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
tortoises101 said:
No, it's not a good idea to mix species at all. There are risks of cross-contamination, bullying, and aldabras and radiateds have different care requirements. He won't need daily soaks, but weekly soaks for about 20 minutes in slightly warm, de-chlorined water is definitely recommended. Maybe you can adjust the water dish so that he can reach it?

No worry, i m not going to mix them :)

Now i can see my aldabra drinking from the water dish, and it grows really fast !

Sorry i m not sure about this, how do we de-chlorine the water? and why is it so important? Can i use anti-chlorine for those aquarium use?

Status
Not open for further replies.