Care of habitat?

Moshie

Here is a picture of Sir Isaac roaming about eating in his home. My question is, how often do you need to change the moss in their hides and the substrate in general. I have had them just over a week now and have changed the moss twice and the substrate on the dry side once. Half the habitat is planted with a mixture of half eco earth and half organic soil. Since it is planted, then I do not plan to redo it often. The other half is Reptibark.

Also, on an update for little Newton, he is still alive and seems to be getting a little better. Tonight I have to administer his shot for the first time and will say I am a bit nervous. I hope I can give him his shot but it is going to be hard! lol

Thank you for any advice.

Moshie

20170223_081820.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Moshie:

They're Manouria tortoises, right? You shouldn't have to change any of that out. Just re-moisten it. I don't change my substrate at all. I spot clean, and when it gets dry, I pour in more water and mix it up to moisten all the particles.

Moshie

OH, That is wonderful! I spray it down several times a day since the Burmese like rain! I spot clean it ever time I see something that should not be there! lol I do resoak the moss and kind of rinse it out every other day and then change it the next day. I didn't know if mold and mildew would set in if I left it for too long. I appreciate your help! Thank you so much.

Moshie

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
OH, That is wonderful! I spray it down several times a day since the Burmese like rain! I spot clean it ever time I see something that should not be there! lol I do resoak the moss and kind of rinse it out every other day and then change it the next day. I didn't know if mold and mildew would set in if I left it for too long. I appreciate your help! Thank you so much.

Moshie
The moss can mold. I used it once back when my leopard was little and it got mold. Stopped using it for that reason and because it got wrapped around my tort.
I think if you let the moss you take out dry completely it may not mold.

Moshie

Thank you so much, I think I will just replace it every couple days as well as the bark beneath it. Rather be safe than sorry with my boys!