Care of Egytian torts

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
I would like to learn how to care for Egyptians from those who own And have success with this tortoise. Thanks

Spn785

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mid-Missouri
I was actually wondering the same thing. I've looked through the Egyptian section and never really found a comprehensive caresheet. I know there are some people who keep them and breed them, so hopefully one will be along soon.

Rutagonzo

5 Year Member
I don't mean to be rude, but google seems to bring up some good hits. Again, if I sound rude/insolent, I apologize.

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
Rutagonzo said:
I don't mean to be rude, but google seems to bring up some good hits. Again, if I sound rude/insolent, I apologize.

No you don't sound rude that is good advice. The confusing part is knowing what is good or outdated info. I couldn't find books either so hoping someone can give insight. I will continue searching too.

Spn785 said:
I was actually wondering the same thing. I've looked through the Egyptian section and never really found a comprehensive caresheet. I know there are some people who keep them and breed them, so hopefully one will be along soon.

I did the same little bits here and there of information but not enough to understand the care requirement. I would love to hear those who have them successfully.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Egyptians are in the critically endangered list, I think. Egyptiandan might be a good source of information. I think he moderates the UK forum. I sure loved reading his responses here. He is a Tortoise God in his wealth of knowledge.

I read that they are very delicate. Beautiful little things, they are It would be awesome to have more in captive breeding.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
In this photo I used solid oyster shells on top of the soil. I found the decomposed granite to work a little better if it was mixed with oyster shells, rather than use all shells.
egyptians_zpse3307da7.jpg
Best results I have had with them.

Substrate earth(top soil) 1/2 portion, then the other half 1/2 decomposed granite or oyster shells to layer the top of the soil.

Kept males separate from females(they got aggressive and would bite off scales on females legs)

Kept the cool side 80 and warm side 100+ in a 6x4 enclosure

They would never drink water that I saw but still offered it. Misted the cage in the morning and evening.

Provided lots of hides and succulents for them to feed off of. I also placed a 18"x24" planter tray with grasses for them to eat on as well.

I used 2 10.0 4' bulbs on 11 hour regimes.

They can stress relatively easy if conditions aren't superb. However these are what I used for WC adults. I have never kept captive bred so they may be a little less feisty.

I do not have mine anymore but this worked great and produced happy egg laying females.

Also in the winter months I would put a humidifier in the room to mimic seasonal humidity fluctuation the mediterranean gets. I also kept the humidity around 40-60% in the summer time.

That is about it. NEVER EVER keep them with other testudo, or chelonians. These guys are susceptible for bacterial infections, and upper respiratory, and dry rot. Its always best to keep these guys(an any tortoises species for that matter really) enclosure very clean, up keep daily, and washed food, and clean sterile safe habitat.

Yeah that is about it in my experiences with them. They are awesome very small little guys. Males stay around 5" and females get 6-6 1/2", and they look like German WWII army helmets. :D

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
Thanks so much! You have been a big help. Lol I never thought of a German helmet.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
So beautiful. That is awesome information. Except for the part that you do not have them anymore. Sigh.

Agreed. Its a very long complicated story. Was not by choice either. I will get some more this summer. A good breeder lives 10 minutes North of me.

billskleins

5 Year Member
My adults, juveniles and babies all drink water and I keep a shallow dish of clean water available at all times. They freely drink from it. In the past I didn't put a water dish in with small babies for fear of drowning instead soaking the babies on a regular basis. ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1363748311.591083.jpg

Also I've never had serious aggression issues either between male/male or male/female groupings.
Yes during active breeding season males ram and butt and bite each other but I believe it is important to getting the males "revved up".
I've never had a serious injury from this breeding season activity.

Last edited by a moderator:

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
billskleins said:
My adults, juveniles and babies all drink water and I keep a shallow dish of clean water available at all times. They freely drink from it. In the past I didn't put a water dish in with small babies for fear of drowning instead soaking the babies on a regular basis.

Also I've never had serious aggression issues either between male/male or male/female groupings.
Yes during active breeding season males ram and butt and bite each other but I believe it is important to getting the males "revved up".

They are beautiful! Is that oyster shells you use for the substrate too?

tortadise said:
Agreed. Its a very long complicated story. Was not by choice either. I will get some more this summer. A good breeder lives 10 minutes North of me.

Looking forward to seeing your future Egyptian torts.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
billskleins said:
My adults, juveniles and babies all drink water and I keep a shallow dish of clean water available at all times. They freely drink from it. In the past I didn't put a water dish in with small babies for fear of drowning instead soaking the babies on a regular basis.

I wish I was that lucky with the 2 males I had. I named them Qhadafi and Suddam. They were very aggressive, and very fertile at that :D. Then again I have seen some very aggressive leos, and not so aggressive as well.

Those are some good looking kleinmanni. Did you produce those?

billskleins

5 Year Member
Yes these are 3 of my 2013 babies.
I only have captive born stock and have found them relatively easy to care for.
Maybe I've just been lucky.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Once I get a breeding group of Russians going, about 6 or so years since I'm raising my first tortoise from a baby, I plan to get a breeding group of Egyptian tortoises going.

Hybrid

5 Year Member
My little Egyptian don't prefer to stay in his box (45cm x 60cm). Is it because the size is too small, or I probably don't place much site for it to hide?

I basically release my tortoise running free in my room.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
I know little about Egyptian tortoises, but that is far too small for any tortoise, even a baby in my opinion. Try and get something bigger if you can.

Hybrid

5 Year Member
Spn785 said:
I know little about Egyptian tortoises, but that is far too small for any tortoise, even a baby in my opinion. Try and get something bigger if you can.

I will provide a picture tomorrow :)

I don't think its too small though, but every opinion really matter for me :)

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
I'd say the smallest enclosure that is okay for a tortoise is 120cm x 60cm (4ft x 2ft). Honestly I would say that is only okay for a baby, but others say that is okay for an adult.

Status
Not open for further replies.