Care Help: Cherryhead/Redfoot

Giancarlo Minotti

Happy Holidays too all first of all!

I just wanted to ask a couple questions regarding the care of a Cherryhead/Bolivian Redfoot (Dart) I got a couple weeks ago and make sure im doing her indoor living correctly. Did some researching on the forums but I just want to be certain.

Dart is currently 5 months old (4in across), I have her in a 40 gallon tank which was the largest I could find in my area. (If anyone knows of a good reptile/tortoise shop near Houston please let me know) I plan on getting her a larger tank soon, then eventually as she ages transferring her over to an outdoor pen I will built around an old oak I have in my backyard (as I was told to do when I first join the Tortoise Forums). I want to make sure the 40 gallon tank is nothing to be too worried about now, or if thats not the case. (Again she is about 4inches across in size) Using cypress mulch solely for substrate.

Food im feeding her kale, carrots, collard greens, romaine lettuce, shredded squash, and occasionally shredded apple. Dried meal worms once a week (though she doesnt seem to be so interested in them, maybe they need to be live? Or what other sources of protien can I get?) Sprinkle Repti-calcium every other day, is this too little? Please let me know your redfoots favorite snacks and foods too!

I have been having trouble keeping the humidity up, It is also something I have been really confused on. How humid should the tank be? And what does that look like? (Is it foggy and lots of condensation or is it not as visible?) I worried about this because her shell and head keeps getting dry and ashy, so I have been spraying her with a mist bottle 2 times a day, and soaking her every 1-2 days. Please let me know how to properly keep humidity in.

For lighting I use 2 ceramic Dome lights on a timer. One for day with a 100w daylight bulb, and another for night 40w "moonlight" bulb. I also have a large undertank heater pad that I keep running 24/7. What are the minimums/maximums in temperature, and is my lighting too much or too little?

Hopefully I can get most of these answered, just want my littol Darty to be happy haha. Would appreciate any help I can get :)

theguy67

10 Year Member!
You will want to start looking for a larger enclosure soon, but the 40 gallon will do for now.

Offering a variety, like you're doing, to eat is always best. You can also try some wet dog food instead of meal-worms. Maybe do a search on the forum to see what type everyone uses.

Most people aim for around 80% humidity. I think anything above 70 is reasonable. Find a good hygrometer, and that will tell you where you are at. Some come as hygrometer/thermometer combos, which is useful. Adding moss to the corner of the enclosure, or in a hide, will also provide a micro-climate for him to retreat to.

For temp. you will want to find a thermostat with a Ceramic Heat Emitter (CME) This will get your cage to an optimal temp, while not allowing it to get too hot. Aim for 80-85 throughout the enclosure. Redfoots do not seem to benefit from a basking. That's the consensus I've read anyway, and mine never use them. Is the enclosure covered/sealed? This will help hold in humidity and heat. Obtaining proper humidity will be impossible in an open tank. Many owners use what is called a "closed chamber", which is essentially an enclosure with minimal ventilation. Your tank can be sorta converted by covering the lid with plastic, and tin foil around the lamp. You won't need a moon light. Your tortoise will want it dark at night.

Do you have a UV light?

hygrometer
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GV4C0MY/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
thermostat
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002CZ0J3E/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
Ceramic Heat Emitter

MysticCaribou

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sweet Home Chicago
Congratulations on your new tortoise. What do you use for a substrate?

Giancarlo Minotti

You will want to start looking for a larger enclosure soon, but the 40 gallon will do for now.

Offering a variety, like you're doing, to eat is always best. You can also try some wet dog food instead of meal-worms. Maybe do a search on the forum to see what type everyone uses.

Most people aim for around 80% humidity. I think anything above 70 is reasonable. Find a good hygrometer, and that will tell you where you are at. Some come as hygrometer/thermometer combos, which is useful. Adding moss to the corner of the enclosure, or in a hide, will also provide a micro-climate for him to retreat to.

For temp. you will want to find a thermostat with a Ceramic Heat Emitter (CME) This will get your cage to an optimal temp, while not allowing it to get too hot. Aim for 80-85 throughout the enclosure. Redfoots do not seem to benefit from a basking. That's the consensus I've read anyway, and mine never use them. Is the enclosure covered/sealed? This will help hold in humidity and heat. Obtaining proper humidity will be impossible in an open tank. Many owners use what is called a "closed chamber", which is essentially an enclosure with minimal ventilation. Your tank can be sorta converted by covering the lid with plastic, and tin foil around the lamp. You won't need a moon light. Your tortoise will want it dark at night.

Do you have a UV light?

hygrometer
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GV4C0MY/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
thermostat
Ceramic Heat Emitter

Awesome this will definitely help, gonna start searching for bigger.

I'll do some searching about the wet dog food. I went ahead and purchased the items you posted, should get here tomorrow (its great that they do overnight shipping free over the holidays lol)

By covering the top you mean like plastic wrap?

And yes I do have a UVB light (the day light 100w) says it gives off UVB

theguy67

10 Year Member!
Awesome this will definitely help, gonna start searching for bigger.

I'll do some searching about the wet dog food. I went ahead and purchased the items you posted, should get here tomorrow (its great that they do overnight shipping free over the holidays lol)

By covering the top you mean like plastic wrap?

And yes I do have a UVB light (the day light 100w) says it gives off UVB

Plastic wrap will work. Just make sure you only use foil around the lamp. I converted a 20 gallon the same way for my hatchlings.

Also make sure it’s not the coiled type of UV bulb. There have been cases where that type has caused eye problems in the past. I’m not up to date on that controversy, so I’m not sure if it has been corrected.

And finally, this may be common sense, but i just wanted to clarify as I don’t know how your lamp is wired. Keep the day light on the timer and put the CME on the thermostat. If your double lamps are wired through one cord, that won’t be possible. If it’s two separate lamps, then ignore this paragraph lol.

Last edited:

Giancarlo Minotti

Plastic wrap will work. Just make sure you only use foil around the lamp. I converted a 20 gallon the same way for my hatchlings.

Also make sure it’s not the coiled type of UV bulb. There have been cases where that type has caused eye problems in the past. I’m not up to date on that controversy, so I’m not sure if it has been corrected.

And finally, this may be common sense, but i just wanted to clarify as I don’t know how your lamp is wired. Keep the day light on the timer and put the CME on the thermostat. If your double lamps are wired through one cord, that won’t be possible. If it’s two separate lamps, then ignore this paragraph lol.

Okay doing the plastic and foil now, No its not a coiled type. Yup I understand, they are separate, just ordered the thermostat and a ceramic heat emitter, ill keep those together and the light on the timer.

Thank you for your help!!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
I'e raised box turtles in 40 gallon tanks. I needed high humidity so covered the entire screen top with heavy duty foil. I just cut out holes for the lights.